Author Topic: Rhodosporidium infirmominiatum Red/Pink Yeast  (Read 3010 times)

kenjin

Rhodosporidium infirmominiatum Red/Pink Yeast
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »
Hi all,

I was sent a few packets of R2R LYO10D Yeasts by Choozit by mistake, it should of been RA22. Anyway, I was trying to find out what I have been sent and see if I can use it in my productions. However up to yet I have drawn a blank has to what it actually is?

I did find some PDF online its states " colored Red-Pink Yeast for cheese.

Anyone any ideas?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Rhodosporidium infirmominiatum Red/Pink Yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
This is Rhodosporidium infirmominiatum.  I've run across Rhodotorula before, but not this species, until now - I see (PDF) it's used as a yeast in surface-smear cheeses, presumably as a de-acidifier, much like other yeasts (KL, DH); "strong aroma producer," with proteolytic ("production of peptides and amino acids") and some lipolytic properties (degrades triglycerides).
- Paul

linuxboy

Re: Rhodosporidium infirmominiatum Red/Pink Yeast
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
This is if you want to adjunct candida utils and/or DH. It's kind of a cross between b casei and candida in the flavor profile because it's rather proteolytic. Point of it is to use either with raw milk for consistency, or more commonly, with pasteurized milk in a plant to create a specific, replicable rind.

Would use it for complex, high Aw cheeses like livarot for an added flavor dimension. Do not like it in blues. Works OK as a yeast in semi-firms like issau iraty clones.