Author Topic: Tale of Two Tommes  (Read 3524 times)

mtncheesemaker

Tale of Two Tommes
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
Here are a couple of Tommes made using the same recipe but different milks.
The larger was made from 1 gal Jersey milk: 2.5 gal goat milk. It was made in October and cut at 5 months. This had a slight ammoniac "bouquet" but that dissipated on airing.
The smaller, all cow's milk, was made in Dec and cut at 3 months. It seemed like it was heading south when I decided to open it. It was sticky, and never developed any mycodore. I think it had the Geo-gone-wild effect.
They were both very tasty but totally different cheeses.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Tale of Two Tommes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:27:20 PM »
Pam, both of these look insanely delicious to me!  Both have a really beautiful red development, but the second one especially, looks really solid red-orange.  What cultures in your wash?
- Paul

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
I agree these are beautiful, and look delicious.  Well done how often did you appy the wash?

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
I only added cultures to the make, not the wash: a pinch each B. linens, Geo and Cylindrocarpon (Mycodore). I washed with 1t salt:half cup H2O every other day for 2 weeks, then 2x/week for 2 weeks. Then just flipped it periodically and kept the box dry.

Helen

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:57:57 PM »
Pretty!

It looks very creamy inside.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »
Very interesting, Pam.  My tomme got a PLA wash, plus mycodore, so very close to yours, with the exception of A. nicotanae and DH.  We're at 9 weeks, now.  Mine is much more an earth brown than red - yours is striking.  Testament, I think, to a good RH in your box.  Mine has been at 89-90 most of its life.  I was hoping to find a good way to get the whole cave up, but may have to go to aging boxes for all of my wheels - yours are certainly beautiful proof.
- Paul

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »
Yes, wouldn't it be great to have a real cave?! The boxes really do work, and I think are necessary for me, to prevent cross-contamination as I make all kinds of moldy cheeses, including blues. Also, our humidity is so low here that the boxes are the only way to keep it above 40%!
I'm going to throw in some KL 71 next time I make Tomme. Should be soon, got my first sheep milk of the season yesterday.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
Wonderful, Pam, hope your milking season goes really well. 
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Here are a couple of Tommes made using the same recipe but different milks.
May we see the recipe please? I have one I've been working from, but would like to compare notes.

Is the "hole" feature typical? Is there some particular culture, technique, or infection that causes it?

Wonderful-looking cheeses. I am hopeful mine turn out as nice as yours. Fingers crossed.

Now, where's that loaf of crusty bread?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:29:52 PM »
Boofer, I always get the holes, I don't know what causes them. Would be interesting to know.

Here's the recipe, such as it is:

3 gallons milk (any combo of cow/goat/sheep)
Warm milk to 88-90F
Add 3/8t MA 4001 (sometimes I use my own cultured buttermilk)
Add 3/4t CaCl2 if using
Add a pinch each of B. linens, Geo and Cylindrocarpon
Stir in
Add 1/2-3/4t rennet (or quantity per your directions)
Time floc/use 3x for multiplier
Cut curds into 3/8" cubes
Rest 10 minutes (the cheese, not you)
Raise temp to 100F over 30 minutes
Hold for 30 minutes, stir gently when necessary to prevent matting
Place curds in mold, press under whey for 15 minutes (I'm using a tomme mold with follower)
Remove from whey, place on mats to drain
Flip in mold several times to consolidate curds during the first hour
Press overnight with 6-8# weight
Brine for 10 hours
Air dry
Put in ripening box in "cave"; keep visible moisture wiped out of box
Wash per instructions in previous post
Wait at least 90 days.

Optional: Eat with bread and wine!  O0

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:36:35 AM »
Thanks, Pam. I don't have any cylindrocarpon. The one I made last week was similar but had KL71 instead. I pressed with 22 lbs overnight. I brined for 13 hours. It was 4 gallons of cow milk plus a pint of non-UHT cream (I was scheduled to make Reblochon.  :) ).

I've asked Brie for the details with the honey & sea salt rind treatment. I'm not sure what to do with the rind right now. My previous Tomme rind came out a nice orange with b. linens.

I'm starting to get a little geo and blue (which I'm working to knock back) after 5 days.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

kookookachoo

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 02:23:56 AM »
They both look great, Pam!  I'm especially in like with the first one, too.  I love creamy-but-funky cheeses, so it appeals to me.  Isn't it odd how, when you're looking at food, you can sometimes "taste" them, in your mind?   I hope I'm not the only one, otherwise, that just sounded really loony!   ;D  Right now, my tomme is....still trying to decide.  It's forming a bit of a harder rind, I'm washing it daily with ACV, until we leave on vacation on Wednesday, it's got some white mold, as well as some tan'ish looking..stuff...growing on them (leaning toward the orange'ish color), so I don't know what that's all about.  I'm fretting about leaving it unattended when I'm gone..the friend who will turn them for me won't commit to anything more than that.  Sigh.  Oh, well, must keep fingers & toes crossed! 

Good cheese karma your way!

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 02:57:24 AM »
I just want to say those are two wonderful looking cheeses.  Very nicely done. 

- Jeff