Author Topic: Question about making cranberry stilton  (Read 1386 times)

Kevin

Question about making cranberry stilton
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
Hello.  I've very new to cheese making.  2 weeks ago I made a 3lb blue stilton that seems to be doing well so far.  This weekend, I would like to make my favorite cheese, which is white cranberry stilton.   Does anybody know where I can find a recipe online or can anybody answer the following questions for me:

1. Blue stilton is cut into walnut-sized pieces before being placed in the mold in order to leave space for the mold to grow internally.  Since I won't be adding mold to white stilton, do I press the cheese to close the internal gaps or should I just mill the cheese into much smaller pieces?

2. What do I do about the rind since I don't want it to get moldy?  Could I wipe the mold off with a light brine solution for the first couple of weeks and then wax it?

3. Is the aging requirement the same as for blue stilton (50-55 F for 3 months at 92% relative humidity)?

4. Is there anything I can do to sweeten the cheese slightly (besides adding the cranberries)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Question about making cranberry stilton
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
White Stilton has no blue mold and to me is not a Stilton. ;)

Make it the same way without the mold. Cut or hand crumble into smaller pieces and add dried cranberries at the same time you salt. Yes, I would do a light pressing because the gaps serve no purpose. I would age at the same temp but much lower humidity (75%) so you don't encourage natural blue mold (or others). Wipe with a brine solution as necessary.

You cannot add sweeteners per se or it will just ferment and convert to alcohol. That is also why you can't use fresh fruit.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »
You cannot add sweeteners per se or it will just ferment and convert to alcohol.
You can use sucralose (splenda). For for God's sake, please don't. What's wrong with a normal, potent, lovely, 3-month-old Stilton? I had some for breakfast this morning. Really wakes up the senses :)

If you want to control mold, you can mill, and salt the outside and not the curds. Will give you a normal salt gradient like you have on many other cheeses.

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:03:46 PM »
Sailor Con Queso, linuxboy,

Thanks for the quick responses!  I only asked about the sweetener because the Trader Joe's cranberry Stilton contains fructose.  I'll just skip the sweetener since the cranberries contain plenty of sugar.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56:10 AM »
You can use alcoholic sugars (a type of sugar stracture) which are unfermentables and dont carry off flavours like artificial substitutes.