Author Topic: Arnaud's Beaufort 3  (Read 4457 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Arnaud's Beaufort 3
« on: April 16, 2011, 12:36:55 PM »
Pics to come later.  Just finished a make, and wheel just finished an 8-hour press.  Sorry for the backwards nature of this thread, guys - will post more from the substantial background discussions with Pav and Francois, later.  Just the skeleton, for now, and a quandary about where to go most immediately. 

Mods from Sailor's recipe.  My overarching goal with this cheese was to work on acid curves.  Originally, I had sought a quicker initial (renneting) pH drop, when compared to the last make, and a slower press-period and resting acidification than previously.  After discussion with Pav, and getting a better sense of Beaufort dynamics - largely, a better understanding of the calcium preservation inherent in the style, I stopped worrying about the initial ripening period, really, and just watched the pH for a target renneting of 6.60 - relative high, for reasons discussed later. 

I also tweaked the ratio of thermos, to play with more LH.  (After discussions with both Pav and, later, Francois, I will likely not do this again, and emphasize ST, again for reasons discussed later).

This make, for 5 gallons of pasteurized, homogenized milk (Sassy Cow - my "learning" milk from many makes), I used:

• .75% MM100 primer. The primer pH was 4.52.
  • 1/64 tsp ST (TA61)
  • 1/8 tsp LH
  • 1/12 tsp propionic shermanii

Cooking:  I tightened up the scalding period, from 40 to 30 minutes.  Based on conversations with Pav, on scalding.  However, for reasons unknown to me, I blew the targeted temp of 128.  I shot for, and achieved, 132F in 30 minutes, from 90F.  (If anything, after, I would have thought this would have done greater "shock" to my mesos, not necessarily a bad thing..see below?).

Targets/Actual pH:

Initial ripening pH: 6.60.  Achieved:  6.60 (2 hours ripening, as last time).

Target hooping pH, post cooking:  6.30.  Achieved:  6.33.

Target post-press pH, going into resting period:  5.5.  Achieved:  I had some issues once again with the meter reading a solid surface; I got pretty wildly different readings.  After some playing (still learning how much I have to impress the flat probe "into" the solid surface to be read), and after reading a whey runoff of 5.29, I got a reading of 5.08, which I have some confidence in. 

Target post resting period pH, going into salting: 5.3-5.4.  Obviously, as I overshot the pH already, with the press, I don't want to go any lower.

And this is where I am.  The "good" is that the knit is fantastic - the best yet, really happy here (pics later). 

The "bad" is again, a disappointingly precipitous pH drop overnight, during the press. 

I don't know whether to rest at room temp (or "hot", even) any longer, or just trust I am too low as it is, and dry-salt my wheel warm - and place immediately in the cave. 

Disappointed to have once again experienced a too-fast acid drop. There are dynamics likely at play - going into later - that I will try next time, including holding at a HIGHER temp (thanks, Francois), something that was counterintuitive to me, until one realizes mesos can survive cooking, and come back strong on cooling; so holding in the thermo range will forestall further meso development, and allow the thermo acidification - a slower acidification, typically - to take place.  I suspect my seedling mats held at a great meso range, and the MM100 (and thermos) more or less exploded during the night, as usual.  More on this, hopeful of Pav and Francois's thoughts, if either gent can spare a moment from their busy schedule. 

At any rate, in a quandary right now, whether to cool the wheel down, or just salt and cave it, based on the pH of 5.08.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:19:28 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Arnaud's Beaufort 3
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »
Well, after 2 hours' cooling period, had to take my best shot.  Re-read pH, dropped to 5.05, and so I decided to salt and cool.  Just pulled from the hoop:

Lots of interesting dynamics learned through the discussions on this, and this make.  More later. 
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
Ah, a work in progress....

Questions:
  • initial pH of milk?
  • .75% MM100 primer...measurement?
  • "primer pH of 4.52"?
  • the ST and LH are both "TA61"?
-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:08 PM »
Boof, the initial milk pH was 6.72.  Normally, I'm concerned about a "delta pH," (and still had my eye on it, to be honest) before renneting, and shoot for anywhere for a .1-.15 drop.  Here, after discussions with Pav, shot for a higher renneting pH regardless - an absolute of 6.6 was reasonable.  Particularly when this -.12 pH was within that delta window, I renneted at 6.6.

The .75 (actually, .78)% was simply the primer culture inoculation.  At 5 gallons vat milk, I used 5 ounces primer, or 5/640*100=.78%.

The primer pH was the measured pH of my primer culture, the morning of the make.  Based on Sailor's wonderful "mother culture" thread, and Pav's contributions, I typically inoculate my meso acidifier (in these makes) in a quart of skim milk, and crash-cool when it reaches about 4.7 or so; I find that means that by the time the culture cools down, I'm always right at about 4.5.  In this instance, 4.52.

Whoops, sorry.  No, the ST is the TA61.  Thanks, edited.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:40:04 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:45:23 AM »
Just wanted to put a cite I mentioned earlier, which describes the use of LH (citing either L. helveticus and/or L. delbrueckii ssp. lactis in Beaufort, Grana, Parmigiano, Asiago, Sbrinz).  Handbook of Food and Beverage Fermentation Technology, p. 341. 

This requires more digging, the uses and properties of S. thermo. and the LH species.  I have to say, after doing some more reading, I'm a bit stumped, and Pav or Francois, if you happen to be reading this, could you take a look? 

I ask, because Pav, on reflection the seeming preference for ST and diminution of LH, both a preference for ST's flavor contribution over LH, and a concern for LH's proteolytic properties during aging, seems to come up against comments in Sailor's thread, on the main contribution of LH. 

In other words, comes from:

Quote from: linuxboy
"You actually don't want predominantly LH for this cheese, the proteolysis will be all wrong. You want lactococcus blend, ST, and a little LH and propionic."

In tandem with:

TA is the main acidifier here during cooking and after. Meso is for symbiosis and for more complex flavors. With raw milk, you wouldn't need the meso. The meso also helps with the initial pH drop.

The LH is the dominant culture, but I didn't exactly say when. What I meant is that after aging if you look, the majority of bacteria are LH. That's because LH multiplies after the cheese is in the cave.

So during the make, TA acidifies. The meso cocci add some flavor during affinage, and LH acts as the main agent that leads to flavor and paste formation.

I find puzzling.  Would you mind discussing? 

Ultimately, I think my next several makes will be isolated variables of these, and, separately, continued attempts to hone in on an ideal acid curve. 

I need to add that in addition to spacing for some reason on the target cooking temp, I failed to re-read some notes from my discussion with Pav, on draining pH.  I shot for and basically achieved 6.3; from the discussion, Pav indicated anywhere from 6.3 to even 6.45, relatively higher than other styles, again for preserving Calcium in the curd.  Another thing to play with - whey drain pH - and see the results. 

I will need to try and engineer a better a way to play with some of these variables on shorter-aged cheeses, as isolating out variables on these 6-12 month olds will mean I'll be old and grey before I go, "aha!" 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:16:04 AM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:24:49 AM »
By the way, in case others are interested in this, wanted to provide a cite to an article (in another post, so it won't get buried in the above tome) - I read it once a while back, and need to re-read it again as it relates to thermophilic interactions during post-press and aging in hard-cooked cheeses.  In other words, point-blank look at some of the principal concerns expressed herein.  I've been looking for it in my mountain-sized stack of articles, gathered over the last few months, but I've misplaced it and will need to get it again. 

Anyway, Multiple interactions between Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus helveticus and Lactobacillus delbrueckii strongly affect their growth kinetics during the making of hard cooked cheeses

Abs.:

n hard cooked cheeses, any interactions between the thermophilic starters as they grow during the cheese-making are critical, since they modify bacterial growth kinetics and acidification kinetics, so affecting the ripening process and the final characteristics of the cheese. Twenty-four experimental hard cooked cheeses were made under controlled conditions, the milk being inoculated with various combinations of thermophilic strains of Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus helveticus and Lactobacillus delbrueckii. Over the first day of manufacturing we recorded a wide range of different growth kinetics for each starter species used, and a wide range of pH kinetics, depending on the starter combination. Most of the bacterial variability could be statistically explained by the nature, quantity, and/or presence or absence of the different strains inoculated. Four main interactions between the three species were evidenced during cheese-making. There was antagonism between L. helveticus and L. delbrueckii. The lactobacilli had a positive effect on S. thermophilus, which was reciprocal for L. helveticus. L. helveticus had a negative effect on S. thermophilus cultivability. And the combination of S. thermophilus inoculated in large quantities and L. helveticus strain H2 had a negative effect on the growth of the L. delbrueckii strain D2. While the positive effect of L. delbrueckii on S. thermophilus probably corresponds to interactions in milk that have already been described and published, the other interactions were hitherto unknown. These interactions are of major importance for the growth kinetics of streptococci and thermophilic lactobacilli during cheese-making.
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:22 AM »
I find puzzling.  Would you mind discussing?
I type often without explaining the specifics of all the thoughts due to time. That's why I often ask for people to tell me if it's confusing. It really is me, not you.

When I was talking about this blend, I was referring specifically to the blend Sailor posted. That blend uses meso for added flavor, and ST for good acidification in the make. And then LH to ensure there's good proteolysis during aging. It's a great recipe for that reason: reliable, predictable, and solid. That strain of LH in LH100 is VERY proteolytic. It makes cheese taste like parmesan. You don't want beaufort tasting like parmesan. That's why you add a little bit. And that's why in that blend you don't want it to be predominant. LH will multiply as the cheese ages. It will keep growing and growing and then lysing. But, you want the individual bacteria to be evenly dispersed, so that the aging will be even. Remember, it's not like the entire wheel is uniform. It's actually a combination of millions of localized sites that you want acting in unison.

Anyway, do not generalize what I posted (poorly). I already gave the resolution: "
The LH is the dominant culture, but I didn't exactly say when. What I meant is that after aging if you look, the majority of bacteria are LH. That's because LH multiplies after the cheese is in the cave." For this blend and these strains, you don't plonk in LH100 and just use LH100. You balance it with ST, and use some meso for flavor. If your strains were different, this would be a completely different make. When Pat Fox or whoever wrote that chapter talks about LH being the dominant culture in Beaufort, that's true both as an inoculant, and in the cheese. But their LH is not the LH 100 blend. You have to use the culture and its profile to fit your cheese so it develops the flavors you want.

Make sense? Can't generalize here. Have to look at the dynamics of the blend. When we talked yesterday and I said to try a 10-25% TA with the rest LH and .75% meso, that was to lengthen out your acidity curve. There are many ways to make this cheese without affecting flavor profile.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:49:06 PM »
Thanks, Pav. 

I did some additional reading last night (including many of our old e-mail exchanges, in which you covered a lot of this stuff- was good to review).  I realized, too, that I have been loosely referring to "LH" to mean both L. helveticus, as well as LH100, the blend I buy from Dairy Connections; my ambiguity can lead to trouble.  I saw more of the industry's response to helveticus's strongly proteolytic nature, by more and more commonly blending it with - ugh, was reading this in bed in the middle of the night, can't recall whether the article cited the development of helveticus and delbrueckii bulgaricus blend, or helveticus and delbrueckii lactis blend. 

I'd really like to try and get a handle on this, Pav; I'm hopeful it's interesting and helpful to others, as well, as technical as it is.  A few questions - and maybe Sailor, if you're reading, as it your recipe, you'd care to comment as well?

You don't want beaufort tasting like parmesan. That's why you add a little bit. [of LH100]

I think again, I was loose in my usage of what we're talking about with "LH".  Sailor's recipe uses more LH100 (1/12 tsp) than ST (1/16 tsp).  You're saying "little bit" of LH - helveticus - because in this case, LH100 is 50/50 helveticus and del. lactis (Dairy Connection's indication), so if the recipe is 57% LH100 and 43% ST, it's only 28.5% L. helveticus, 28.5% del. lactis, and 57% ST - in other words, the actual amount of helveticus is muted; this is what you're saying, yes?

Can you elaborate on what LH strain Pat Fox et al. are referring to?  I ask, in part, because among my readings late last night was some Beaufort AOC documentation, in French, put out by the Polytechnique Lille.  Among the things I found most immediately interesting:

The cultures utilized for the fabrication of Beaufort are of the thermophilic type, and made up by a majority of lactobacilli.

Obviously, this doesn't specify which lactobacilli - helveticus, delbrueckii, or thermophilic, adventitious NSLABs (I say adventitious, as I know the AOC prohibits the use of added adjuncts). 

General comments, from my reading of the Beaufort documentation.

Compositional comparison, comparing Beaufort to (French) Emmental Grand Cru and Comté:

• Salt, g/kg: EGC: 3-6; Comté: 4-10; Beaufort: 8-13.  Among these 3, Beaufort is most heavily salted.  Makes sense to me, both in terms of its relative propionic inhibition (see below), and flavor, among other things.
  • Propionic Acid, g/kg: EGC: 2.5-5; Comté: 1-4; Beaufort: 0.05-0.2.  I find this striking, and helpful in terms of trying to achieve the profile.
  • Calcium level, g/kg: EGC: 9-10; Comté: 9-11; Beaufort: 8-10.  Lowest of the three, though not dramatically so.  Gives me a "hmm" in terms of thinking on whey drain pH, etc.

Cooked/stirred curd size.  The stirred/cooked curd is cut to the size of anywhere from wheat grains to corn kernels - seems a pretty wide range.  Additionally, the document indicates that:

The use of high-milkfat milk imposes a curd cutting in grains more fine than the other cooked-curd cheeses (Comté, Emmental).  A study undertaken in 30 creameries (Chamba, 1988), shows that Beaufort grains have an average diameter of 2.45 mm (3/32") against 3.5mm (5/32") for Emmental.

Aside from the fact that both "corn kernels" and wheat grains seem a heck of a lot larger to me than 3/32", I know with this make, I thought I was too small, more like "smaller rice grains" (last time, I'll simply call it "rice grains"); perhaps my cut was acceptable.  I'm still getting used to using a whisk (Wayne, whenever you're ready...), but now wonder if I'm pretty close on cooking curd size. 

Salting: Emmental is salted in saturated brine; Comté, dry-salted.  Beaufort, both - brined for 24 hours, followed by dry-salting.  "This explains well the higher salt content of Beaufort (8-12 g/kg) against 3-6 grams and 4-10 grams, respectively, for Emmental GC and Comté."

Going back to earlier discussions on salting regimens, I realize one has to take into account these criteria are for true Beaufort wheels - on the order of up to 70 kgs - and not my faux, 2-2.5 kg wheels.  Still, interesting, nonetheless.  I did not know of the higher salting in Beaufort.

Finally, slower acidification (and incidentally, milk quality).  Part of what Pav has suggested during our discussions, is the importance of using good milk, if proceeding in the way discussed.  The document also stresses this importance, particularly in what I find to be a striking difference in acidification curves.

In effect, it takes less than 2 hours before a wheel of Emmental drops 0.5 pH; but it takes 6 hours for Beaufort to drop the same amount. 

The Polytechnique stresses that because of this particularly slow acid development in Beaufort, there is a relatively significant risk of gas-producing bacteria, and thus a risk of early swelling. Hence, as all these cheeses use raw milk, the need in particular for good, clean, high-quality milk in Beaufort. 

A chart (from Chamba J.F., Delacroix-Buchet A., Berdagué J.L., Clément J.F.. Une approche
globale de la caractérisation des fromages : l’exemple du Beaufort. Sciences des
aliments, 1994, 14, 581-590), shows a much slower acid development under pressing for Beaufort than for Emmental:

0 Hr:  Both are at roughly 6.45. 
2 hr: Emmmental, 5.8, BF, 6.4.
4 hr: Emmental, 5.6, 6.25.
6 hr: Emmental, 5.4, BF, 5.91.
8 hr: Emmental, 5.25, BF, 5.4.
12 hr: Emmental 5.2, BF, 5.25.

(Interesting too - both indicate a drain pH of 6.45.  Pav suggested the same, a range of 6.3-6.45, a high drain pH.  Once again I missed this note during the make and shot, and achieved 6.3; not a tragedy, and I know this is acceptable for the style.  Next time, I want to isolate out calcium preservation, and one way will be to try for a higher drain pH).

Which leads me, Pav, to:

When we talked yesterday and I said to try a 10-25% TA with the rest LH and .75% meso, that was to lengthen out your acidity curve. There are many ways to make this cheese without affecting flavor profile.

I'm puzzled, still, on why I still seem to be getting such a fast drop under press.  I used .78% MM100 primer, and in terms of the thermo mix, 10% ST, 90% LH100.  Unlike my usual procedure, I finally made common sense and planned my make so I could sleep... :o ... and left the wheel to press overnight, with seedling mats, for 8 hours.  I presumed this time, I would safely see a pretty slow curve.  After 8 hours, as I indicate above, I was basically at 5.0, a disappointing result.  Do you have any thoughts?

I know Francois indicated something interesting to me, as mentioned above: to slow the acidification curve, heat the wheel up; hold the surviving mesos at bay (or kill them, presumably, lyse and aid the thermo development accordingly?), and encourage the (presumably?) slower thermos to take over the remaining acidification.  In explaining my continuing fast drops, is it possible the seedling mats aren't hot enough?  Should I be shooting for a higher drain temperature - perhaps, per our discussion, Pav, something on the order of what the alpage chalets undertake, a draining in the same room as the direct-fired copper vat? 

To say it plainly, and to conclude this novel:  to achieve a slower press acidification, should I truly be warming my wheel to above, say, 110F?

Phew.

Ps:  Pav, in the absence of raw milk (for now, and for a while, yet), since LH100 is apparently 50/50 L. delbrueckii lactis and helveticus, and I want to play with your recommendation of 30-40% ST 60 or 70, 30-40% l. del. lactis, and 20-30 l. helveticus, I'd imagine you have a bead on where to obtain the defined-strain ST 60 or 70, single-strain helveticus, and the delbrueckii lactis? 

And, (I'm fairly serious), any thoughts on where to obtain an alpage screw press?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:38:33 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
in other words, the actual amount of helveticus is muted; this is what you're saying, yes?
Yes, exactly. I want your Beauforts to come out tasty and nuanced, with slow flavor development over time, blending the proteases and peptidases of helveticus with your morge. I don't want you to make a parmesan.

Can you elaborate on what LH strain Pat Fox et al. are referring to?  I ask, in part, because among my readings late last night was some Beaufort AOC documentation, in French, put out by the Polytechnique Lille.  Among the things I found most immediately interesting:
Autochthonous strains. For Beaufort, it's mostly helveticus strains (when made traditionally in the Savoie). And like I said, I'm working on getting you some. Your make will be completely different then. With the Danisco cultures, the blend you're using is a decent substitute. Let's differentiate here. I'm trying to help you figure out a realistic blend that will give you a passable substitute. If you want to make the real thing, move to France, and my suggestions will be completely different.
The Polytechnique stresses that because of this particularly slow acid development in Beaufort, there is a relatively significant risk of gas-producing bacteria, and thus a risk of early swelling.
This is why I advocate also using a bland ST combo, to have faster acidification. You can do a lot with ST without affecting flavor. And you can manipulate acidify significantly as well, in terms of speed, without affecting flavor.

After 8 hours, as I indicate above, I was basically at 5.0, a disappointing result.  Do you have any thoughts?
Sure, synergistic acid production. Just because you kill the mesos doesn't mean that the byproducts of their fermantation are gone. Those amino acids are still available. And the interaction of ST and bacilli will give you a much faster drop. This is to be expected, though. I don't see a reason to wait 16-24 hrs for the acidity to drop enough to where you can salt. That's a huge window of exposure for coliforms and other unwanted flora to multiply. 5.0 is not bad for going into the brine. You have so much calcium in the cheese, that the acidity has to be viewed against time. In terms of rate of micelle decomposition.

slower thermos to take over the remaining acidification
He's right, and that's what happened. Ordinarily, with that much culture, you would reach 5.0 in 4-6 hours, not 8. So it worked. If you want even slower, cut out the ST completely.

to achieve a slower press acidification, should I truly be warming my wheel to above, say, 110F?
Will not make a material difference with that blend you used. you want a lot lower, like an extra 6 hours, right? Not going to happen, even if you did 120F or 80F with that blend.
I'd imagine you have a bead on where to obtain the defined-strain ST 60 or 70, single-strain helveticus, and the delbrueckii lactis?
Yes, but you should not focus on this. If you want to make it exactly like they do, you need autochthonous.
And, (I'm fairly serious), any thoughts on where to obtain an alpage screw press?
Maybe, I'll ask. But why? You're better off with Kadovas and either a lever off the wall type press or pneumatic piston. Your can control the variables much better. It's like this, you either go all in and replicate their technology completely, because it works as a system. Or you understand all the variables and controls in their system by doing process analysis and then customize that system to fit modern equipment and your requirements. Like with this culture blend, I suggested it because it's easier and makes about the same cheese. Who wants to keep a cheese at 5.5-6.4 for nearly half a day? I sure wouldn't want that inconsistency or risk exposure. I could do it in a chalet, but we don't have that luxury. Again, systems based. Their helveticus strains (as well as NSLABs) have immunity factors, producing nisin, inhibiting pathogens, etc.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »
Didn't expect to hear from you so quickly.  Thank you friend; as usual, a wonderful, informative and eminently clear posting.  Much appreciated.  Food for thought for now.

On the defined strain ST, helveticus, l. delbrueckii, just going off your suggestion (e-mail) for best-emulation of a traditional chalet make, absent using raw milk in chalet, with autochthonous.  You also mentioned that in the absence of raw milk, I could try a pre-ripening regimen with a touch of FD or Leuco.; (or Aroma B, per yesterday).  So, I was thinking of trying this blend, and seeing what happens.  As with the press, same thing - you just mentioned that an alpage screw press + cheesecloth will give a great surface (though I'm pretty happy with the knit, so far; not sure if the pic shows, but seems OK to me). 

Not a big deal, I suppose - my traditionalist blinder, my desire for a true, alpage Beaufort, jamming my logical radars, I know.  I would be interested in trying your "chalet emulation" blend of strains, however, at some point, even if it's a mild differentiation from my TA61, and LH100.  As to moving to France, yes, you're right, and this is probably at the heart of it all.

Thank you again, Pav.  A lot learned.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:13:53 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 09:10:49 PM »
best-emulation of a traditional chalet
Yes, but emulate flavor and paste, not necessarily acidity curve. 
you just mentioned that an alpage screw press
My point was not the press, but the knit, the rind. You need an impenetrable rind, no inclusions. That morge has to layer on top. I can get you that rind by hand using no press and just cloth and my hands. I can also get you that rind by boiling the cheese in a CaCl2 solution for a minute after brine (creates a tough casein shell). I can also get you that rind by re-heating the cheese after it's out of the press. There are many ways about it, my point was the rind quality and the reason they used a screw press technology. Your latest pic looks good, even and smooth finish.

"chalet emulation" blend
You already did. That's what you've been making. Now in this blend, you can have all sorts of variation to fine tune flavor. And that is something I can't predict that accurately because it depends on your milk and make process. If you get the moisture too high or too low, it makes for a totally different cheese.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
Tax day in the States, all, and as Richard III said, "I am not in the giving mood today..." 

Anyway, done with all that, just catching up.  Pav and I have exchanged offline as well; this notion of cultures and fine tuning is something I do want to explore, but I agree with him that mastery of process variables - technique, affinage, etc. - is where the gold is for now.  Meanwhile, I intend on continuing book learning as much as I hope for continued improvement in, well, just practical chops. 

I appreciate your exchange, Pav, and hope others have benefited as greatly as I have from it. 

Cheers all,

Paul
- Paul