Author Topic: Its a cheddar opened  (Read 1431 times)

Jaspar

Its a cheddar opened
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »
OK everyone its my first 5 gallon make "Opened". WOW is it good, I made this one on Jan 10,
it was made with the recipe from "200 easy Cheeses". The only difference is that I used Cultured Buttermilk from walmart as my Meso culture. I must say this is my best result so far.
Earlier makes were 2 gallon, as I was just really starting my journey into cheese, they were eatable, crumbly and dry, or a bit tangy, but good. This one is just "WOW".
I might add that this is the last cheese made with BM as my culture. The Monday after this one was made, I got my order from Leeners.
  Got a 8-5 lb wheels ageing all waxed except last 2 which are larded, 2 small blues(looking blue,in a good way) , a pepper jack,and 2 Colbys.

What should i try next ? Would like a different taste.

smilingcalico

Re: Its a cheddar opened
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:47:06 PM »
Perhaps there's a better abbreviation for Buttermilk than BM!  Gouda would be a next good make for something different.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »
That's a nice looking effort-congratulations! Why not make a nice Parm or Romano, it's always nice to have some nice sharp cheese around for your pasta or table.

Jaspar

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »
I've been considering a parm, but I'm not sure I've got the stuff it takes to wait a year to taste it  :-X 
    Jaspar

kookookachoo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »
Good call on your part, Jaspar!  I made parm right after feta..only cos I wasn't thinking logically.  Oh pff.  It was, honestly, not that hard to make...steps-and-methods-wise.  I think tomme was a bit harder, plus it needs babysitting more.  I want instant gratification.  More than that, I wanted something that would age/ripen quicker, so I could taste it, see what I've done right/wrong & learn the process as I make-along.  I write notes as I make my cheeses, and finding out mistakes I've done, too..in reading other posts from the more knowledgeable people (about flocc time, temps, ph's, etc)..and taking more notes.  I have, honestly, been so bugged by stuff I've done wrong, I've been dreaming cheese!! 

@Smiling...ahahaha maybe like BuM?  :P

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 06:33:18 AM »
Kookoo, that is an improvement. Parmesan isn't a bad idea.  Make it once or a couple times, then focus on some others that you can eat sooner.  That way you might be able to resist the temptation of cutting too soon.  However, with many cheeses, the extra wait is worth it.  The dairy I'm at now does Gouda.  Somehow they had a few wheels that got held back and are now 18 months old.  They are PHENOMENAL!!  So I still would recommend Gouda because they are nice and creamy at 2 months and just get better if you can leave them to age.

Jaspar

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »
After some thought (and some discussion with the wife)I think a parm would be a good way to go at this point.
We have enough cheddar in the cave to keep us going for a while and I hope enough fortitude to resist the temptation to "taste" the new cheese.
Also I have gotten into the habit of making cheese every other week, better to get it done and aging, and go back to "quicker" cheeses.

I'd like to thank everyone for all the great info freely offered to us new to cheese making.
IE. Floc time, psi instead of hey put this much weight on your cheese, recipes, etc.
    Thanks All !!! ;D