Author Topic: Another Caerphilly  (Read 1861 times)

kookookachoo

Another Caerphilly
« on: April 16, 2011, 11:46:39 PM »
Hello, Everyone!

I opened my Caerphilly today.  It's technically not due for another 3 days, but since we're going out of town, we decided we'd do it today.  I wasn't really expecting a lot, since this was my first (official) non-soft cheese.  I was so happy & pleasantly surprised that it was good!  I expected it to be dry & flaky, but it's creamy..and yummy, to be honest.  When my hubby first cut it (it looked like he was cutting through rubber-so my heart sank!), I looked at it, it looked a tad dry, with some mechanical holes in it, but biting into it, the creaminess comes out.  It smells good, too (my kids think it's stinky), has a bit of ammonia-smell, that I'm hoping will disappear.  It's more mellow than I thought,  with a bit of a bite (Darius, was yours like this, too?  I'm going to have to re-read your Caerphilly post).  I do have some criticisms, though.  The rind is thicker than I'd like, the smell-it's a bit strong, I wonder if aging will make it intensify or mellow?  The mechanical holes, they're not too big, but maybe I should press more?  And the taste..maybe it will get a little bit sharper? 

Apart from all that, I'm giddy...success will probably go to my head & whatnot.  Ha!  We're cutting the (pseudo) Manchego in a couple of days, 2 days of anticipation again. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with you guys...cos you'd understand.  My kids just look at me & ask what's for dinner.  Although my hubby did take HALF of it out to share with the guys at the range today & they said it was quite good, every bit was consumed. 

So, yep, this is me doing a little dance!   ;D

mtncheesemaker

Re: Another Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
Congratulations on your first not-soft cheese!

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »
Hi kookookachoo,

That looks really good!  Mechanical holes seems to be the norm with caerphilly (at least the homemade ones).  Yours looks to be, if anything, less "holey" than others.  If you've got a bit of an amonia smell, let the cheese sit out and come to room temperature before eating it.  It should dissapate.  Anyway, it sounds like this was an outstanding success!  Well done.

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
Looks great, Congrats!!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:08:26 PM »
Yeah, Kookoo! Nicely done.

You are right...that's some rind. How old is this cheese?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

kookookachoo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
Thanks, guys!  It has definitely encouraged me.  I think I will stick to 4 cheeses that I want to keep making, tweaking, etc.  I might...delve...into other cheeses-like the moldier, stinkier cousins, just to learn the rind-washings (with mold cultures, etc), how the humidity & temps affect them, etc.  I want to work on my curds...making them more firm, that I don't lose too much butterfat.  The last 3 makes, my whey wasn't as clear as I wanted them to be, even with the gentle up-and-down stirring.  I'm going to have to read up more, figure out if I'm adding too much culture (I have DVI cultures, mostly, so it's an add-a-packet to 2-3 gal basis), not adding enough, too much rennet/not adding enough (my flocc times were about 5 mins faster last 3 cheeses!!)...etc etc.  Bella has been so gracious & helpful answering my messages & endless questions about her tomme makes. 

Boofer,

The cheese is a couple of days from it's 4 week mark (that I've targeted for it).  I think I might've boo-boo'd last night.  I left it on the counter top but I covered it with saran.  Mainly cos my kids were all, "Eeeew, mommmm stinkyyyy!".  I will take the cover off & let it breathe more today. 

I gave in, by the way, and cracked open the (pseudo) Manchego, too.  I have to say, the Caerphilly is much creamier & more to my liking than the Manchego.  The Manchego is a bit tart, though it does have a nice woodsy taste to it.  I had it sitting on bamboo barbeque skewers, as a makeshift drying mat, it took a while for the rind to form, so I don't know..maybe it had a bit of a pleasant effect on it. 

Anyway, I just woke up (can't believe I slept in past 7!), late night cleaning & packing...so now going to have breakfast...orange & cheese!  :D 

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
It look really great, well done. I love the rind development