Author Topic: Mycodore - How Apply  (Read 5669 times)

dttorun

Mycodore - How Apply
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »
Hi folks,
I have a question. Can I directly apply mycodore to the rind after stirring in light brine? Probably the best way is to add to the milk but I have a tomme style cheese still drying on the rack and I just got my mycodore pack. Does it work this way?
Thanks,
Tan

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Mycodore - How Apply
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
dttorun, if you're asking can you use a brine wash containing mycodore, I can tell you I did that with my first tomme.  I used PLA, and mycodore, in a 3% brine.  The only cautionary tale I'd offer came to me from Francois, who said to watch out for mycodore, as it can be fairly aggressive - its character can throw the overall effect out of balance (Francois, hope I remembered this more or less correctly). 
- Paul

dttorun

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
Hi Arnaud, So, I guess brine washing or spraying of mycodore works. What does PLA do then? I don't think I have it but, should I use it in combination with mycodore?
Thanks,
Tan

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »
PLA is just a blend containing a lot of the cascading organisms you'd find on a complex rind - it contains yeast (Debaryomyces hansenii) and geotrichum (call it a yeast, or a mould..either way, it, like the DH, helps de-acidify the surface and prep it for the later bacterial species), arthrobacter nicotanae and b. linens - the yellowish, red coloration and "funk" effect for your complex rind.  A lot of people here like it - see here, among other places, lots discussed on PLA between iratherfly, Francois, linuxboy and my newbie self; it's discussed a lot here.  Francois, as you can see from that thread, loves the OFR9, a complex mix of yeasts that really sets up a smear-rind nicely.  Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in obtaining it anywhere in the States.
- Paul

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »
In my experience Mycodore is very pesky and dies off when the pH balance is off or when it is in more than 2% salt. Other rind bacterium seem to easily out-compete it for nutrients leaving it to starve to death. It's also temperature sensitive. Maybe Francois can tell me how to get that thing out of control... would love to finally see it going. Keep in mind that it is made of Cylindrocarpon - a pathogenic plant fungus. It does not naturally thrive in milk as say, naturally occurring geo or yeasts that can feed on proteins and sugar. Is traditionally originated in cave-aged cheese of the French Savoie region and it exists in the caves, not the milk (to my knowledge anyway.  Does anyone here knows if it comes from the cow's feed into the milk?)

PLA is one of my favorite cultures. It is great with Camembert style, washed rind or even Crottin. It contains B.Linen, Geo and Yeast so adjust the quantities of those in your recipe or eliminate them altogether if you are using PLA. It is great for washing cheese.  OFR9 is one of the most exciting cultures out there. You can get it but there is a long wait time for it. It is LIQUID and comes only in commercial size bottles with very short refrigerated shelf time. It's also very expensive.  I am now using ARN as a new alternative to PLA. It has both dark and light B.Linens and Geo. I add yeast to it (KL71 or R2R). .It's a different type of funky aroma and color than PLA but it serves the same purpose.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:30:27 PM »
Iratherfly, thanks btw for the heads up on the ARN, confirmed Dairy Connection has it and will look forward to playing with it.  In terms of manufactured blends, it's positively killing me I can't get the OFR in anything other than 100 DCU, esp. as I would particularly love to play with B. casei as an input variable. 
- Paul

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:28:24 AM »
It's not just the huge bottle size of the PFR9 but also the short expiration date and long lead time to get it

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:08:53 AM »
No, I know (I work with Dairy Connections, saw them today, in fact).  I queried a while back, got the scoop.  Buying a 100 DCU for close to $100 was just not something I was going to do.  Though it kills me, as I'm very intrigued. :)
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 02:01:52 PM »
Check this.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »
ArnaudForestier- you work with Sandy? She is a culture encyclopedia. I love her.

Here are the data sheets for both cultures (see attached)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 04:52:14 PM »
ArnaudForestier- you work with Sandy? She is a culture encyclopedia. I love her.

Here are the data sheets for both cultures (see attached)

Yep, Sandy's cool.  Thanks, have those sheets, helpful info on them.
- Paul