Author Topic: Induction Heating and Wax.... a good mix?  (Read 4744 times)

bgreen

Induction Heating and Wax.... a good mix?
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:51:48 PM »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone had experience or knowledge of using induction heating to melt wax for cheese waxing. 

Firstly would this be a safe option given there is no heat build up on the element? 

And secondly would you need to use a double boiler or just heat up in the one pot on the induction cooktop?

Thanks for your advice

Pete S

Re: Induction Heating and Wax.... a good mix?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:21:34 AM »
  It should be safer than a regular burner. I would still use a double boiler method for the more even heating.I just float my wax container in a kettle of water.    Pete

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:07:44 AM »
I use a square non-stick cake pan directly on the induction top and find at heat setting 2 (out of 9) this keeps the pan at the right temperature. You may have to experiment with yours to find the optimum setting, or do as suggested and use a water bath.

Cheers,
Bill
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

bgreen

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:34:40 AM »
Hi Pete and Bill

Thanks for your replies... i was really interested to know if when melting wax if the pot with the wax in it can be placed directly on an induction heater or is this not recommended..... am finding when using a double boiler that at max i could get the wax up to no more than 95 degrees C.  Some seem to say this is more than enough... others seem to say you need to get the wax up to 110 C.  I was wanting to reuse wax too.  I would be interested in any further comments.  Thanks Bruce

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:16:38 AM »
Waxing is dangerous if you're not careful. The vapors of melting wax are flammable at around 300F. I haven't waxed in years, but if I remember well I waxed at around 160F, well below water boiling temp.

bgreen

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:32 AM »
Thanks Spoons..... yes i dont want to take it up to a higher temp than necessary... cheers bruce