Author Topic: SS Milk Cans - alternatives?  (Read 10692 times)

linuxboy

Re: SS Milk Cans - alternatives?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »
Corneys do work pretty well if you can compromise on having to sanitize them. Cheap, can reach in to clean manually, can soak the top piece in a bucket of cleanser/sanitizer if worried about dead zones, etc. You could probably get 4-5 corneys delivered for $120 or so. DeejayDebi uses corneys for her milk, works fine for her.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »
Our local shop, about a block away, has 5 gal corneys for $45.  Remove the spear, and it's a good solution.  I always used caustic for cleaning and iodophor for sanitizing, Pav.  Not familiar with acid cleansers - what do you use?
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 09:07:40 PM »
Phosphoric, sulfuric, glycolic... whatever is local. Or you can get the no rinse, like starsan.

iodophor is good, too. I tend to like leaving the surface lightly acidic to help prevent airborne contamination

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
Pav, I'm talking chemical cleaners, not the sanitizers (I've got StarSan and use that for sanitizing) - I always used hot NaOH for cleaning, and anything from peracetic acid to iodophor to chlorine dioxide, in terms of sanitizing.  Don't you use some sort of acid cleaner?
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
For cleaning? No, I use an alkali dairy detergent, sometimes one with enzymes if it looks like I need to do thorough job. Sometimes I'll use soda beads. I thought you meant sanitizing, sorry. Paracetic would work well, too. mmm love that fresh smell of acid in the morning. :P

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »
OK, gotcha.  Yeah, I always just used hot caustic. 

Paracetic would work well, too. mmm love that fresh smell of acid in the morning.

OH yeah.  Especially a dreary, early morning in the brewery, when you're half awake, and you start up the peracetic mixing/holding tank without paying attention to which valves are open and shut...the face loves that "fresh feel."   (Yes.  Happened.  I love how it wakes you up in the morning....;D).
- Paul

OudeKaas

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 09:34:39 PM »
hey, some people pay good money for a fancy 'acid peel' like that  O0

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
Pav, thinking of a couple alternatives, in terms of pre-ripening. 

The issue of 1 large vessel has its downside, which is keeping it cool until ready to make. 

On the other hand, per one of your pre-ripening suggestions, any issue with just dropping in some DVI meso culture (say, Aroma B) into the corney, milk can, whatever's used, and putting the whole thing into a cooler overnight, for a make the next day? 

I may have spaced this - sorry, if so - would you even both with a pre-ripening, if using raw milk?  If doing an alpine, would you even use a meso of any kind, or just add in thermos?
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »
hey, some people pay good money for a fancy 'acid peel' like that  O0

Lol.  I got a cool "tear drop" cascade by my eye, all the way down.  Helped me to fit right in with the miscreants working there. ;D
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »
If doing an alpine, would you even use a meso of any kind, or just add in thermos?
If I would, I would pasteurize the milk after. So basically, no. With one exception: if using a flavor enhancer like hansen's cr 213, but then you wouldn't preripen because that's not an acidity adjunct, develops acid slowly, would just dump some in the milk and go.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
Sorry, to clarify:  with raw milk, you would pre-ripen with, say, DVI Aroma B, get a .2-.4 drop, then pasteurize; so you're feeding the thermos; you'd then cool the milk, and do your make, with thermos only.  Or, in the alternative, using Hansen's CR 213 (will have to look that up), thermos, and go. 

Either way, outside of the minimal acidification by a meso addition prior to pasteurization, you're using thermos exclusively as true acidifiers, in a raw milk, alpine make.  Yes? 

Preferences (and reasoning) for simply going with raw milk-thermo, no pre-ripening/pasteurization v. the pasteurization routine, above? 
- Paul

susanky

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 10:56:45 PM »
If anyone would be interested in looking, I posted some links below that are from a website that has several articles and links regarding the issues surrounding using plastics.  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/07/scientists-warn-of-the-dangers-of-a-chemical-found-in-plastic.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/04/16/food-storage-part-one.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/07/05/food-storage-part-two.aspx

Just for the record.  The guy who runs this website, Dr Mercola, criticizes most mainstream medicine including the use of vaccines.  This does not reflect the standard of care or general opinion of the medical community.  He has received 2 warning letters from the FDA for his marketing practices.  Not that I''m arguing that BPA is perfectly safe.  I just don't believe all this guy has to say.

My plastic bottles aref HDPE #2 which has not been shown to leach BPA or phthalates. 
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 11:10:06 PM »
raw milk, you would pre-ripen with, say, DVI Aroma B, get a .2-.4 drop, then pasteurize; so you're feeding the thermos; you'd then cool the milk, and do your make, with thermos only.  Or, in the alternative, using Hansen's CR 213 (will have to look that up), thermos, and go.
Me personally? I don't pasteurize raw milk, and wouldn't add meso. Would use it as it. I was only illustrating, not proscriptive.
Either way, outside of the minimal acidification by a meso addition prior to pasteurization, you're using thermos exclusively as true acidifiers, in a raw milk, alpine make.  Yes?
Yep.
Preferences ...the pasteurization routine, above?
To create different flavor profiles out of ennui. Normally, for raw, I only do thermo.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »
Parfait.  Merci, mon ami de l'occident.
- Paul

sstrantz

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 02:18:55 AM »
Susan...
I kind-of hesitated when I posted the "Mercola" links knowing that I, and others, have issue with some of the things he puts out.  That being said, there is research on the affects of plastics from many sources and studies available.  When I posted those links I was at work so I didn't want to take the time to find and post them.  I was hoping that the Mercola links would be food for thought and that if anyone was interested they could take the time to do a little research on their own  and draw their own conclusions.

For me, the issue isn't so much the BPA but the "porosity" of whatever material I'm using.  It's hard to have a well-cleaned container when the surface allows absorbtion at some level, so I try to use items that discourage that - such as glass and stainless steel. 

Hope that clarifies some  :)