Author Topic: SS Milk Cans - alternatives?  (Read 10664 times)

susanky

Re: SS Milk Cans - alternatives?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »
Thanks Leah's Mom.  I know where your are coming from.  I used glass for a long time for the same reasons.  But it just got too cumbersone.  So I thought I'd try the plastic and have been glad I did.  I don't sell cheese (or milk) so it it just for family and friends.  I guess I'd have to worry more if I did.  But even in the plastic jug the milk does not 'go bad' for several weeks if I've chilled it right away.  I don't keep it that long.  But have tried it just to see.  The question I've had is can I really get them clean?  I always sanitize them.  Doesn't seem to be an issue.  I've often thought it would be fun to take milk samples to the local hospital lab and ask them to tell me what is growing in there.  If I ever get around to it, I'll ask them to do one from a glass and one from a plastic jug.  And maybe one fresh and on 4-5d old.  Would be interesting.  Would love to even know just the natural flora in there.
Susan

coffee joe

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
I did an experiment with an HDPE milk can and a SS one using my pH meter. Fresh Milk was 6.78 in both. In 2 hours SS was 6.62 and in HDPE was 6.45. Both had been sanitized thoroughly. While we have lots of volume and HDPE is great stuff for many things, the HDPE cans are now used to transport whey to the pigs. 

susanky

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »
Interesting.  If plastic is inert, how do you suppose the pH will change?  Maybe the experts will chime in. My pH meter just came today!  When I figure out how to use it I am going to do a similar experiment.  Will let you know how it comes out.
Susan

coffee joe

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
For sure it isn't the plastic that changes the pH, it is the fact that I didn't get the plastic clean even though it was well sanitized.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 08:55:04 PM »
I know everyone's dying to know.....did Arnaud slink to stainless?  Did he hack a hunk of HDPE?  Grab some glass, with gusto? 

Sorry, in so many ways.  Just wanna say, I'm  the proud owner of a gleaming 5.5 gal. SS Delaval milker, and find myself just wandering the streets aimlessly, looking for a cow that would trust me, my warm hands and my worshipful heart. ;D
- Paul

coffee joe

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
Congrats, you will be pleased to know your Milk Can will never be the cause of unwanted bad guys in your milk!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »
Got it used at a good price.  The weird thing is, it cost me nearly as much to get a ss lid for it.  I wasn't aware these lids are that rare?  Next up is another one, and a cooler to store them, and a vat that can handle 12-15 gallons, and molds.  And...and..well, I want to do this as a way of life.  Your story is really inspiring in this way, Joe.  Best wishes for every success.

Paul
- Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »
Aw, Paul, you really do need a cow!  And a milk machine to go with that gleaming ss can!

Funny thing is, about 6 months ago, I sold the ss can I had - it held about 7 gallons and I couldn't imagine being able to carry it even half full because it was so heavy empty.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I was given a Delaval milking system.   The can probably only holds about 4 gallons, so much more my speed.

It is at the repair shop now and we will see if the pump is operational.  If not, I do have a source for a pump for about $500 plus shipping, so I'll be saving up my pennies.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Aw, Paul, you really do need a cow!  And a milk machine to go with that gleaming ss can!

Funny thing is, about 6 months ago, I sold the ss can I had - it held about 7 gallons and I couldn't imagine being able to carry it even half full because it was so heavy empty.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I was given a Delaval milking system.   The can probably only holds about 4 gallons, so much more my speed.

It is at the repair shop now and we will see if the pump is operational.  If not, I do have a source for a pump for about $500 plus shipping, so I'll be saving up my pennies.

Oh, man, Karen, you don't know how right you are.  My usual devious way*** of getting seriously into the game seems to be paying off - got the jug itself, and now I'm seeing retrofit components on E-Bay, for the next part of the campaign to turn Green Acres on my wife and child. ;D

***You think I'm kidding.  Muwahahahah.....way back when, my wife bought me a beer kit one Christmas.  Before she knew it, I was studying through Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh's Diploma Program in Malting and Brewing; was performing industrial espionage by capturing yeasts from points abroad, drying them in hotel rooms on folded business cards, and banking them at home for later use in traditional ales; was slaving for pennies working for Goose Island Brewing Company, Chicago.  NEVER, I mean never, allow me into a hobby of the senses.  I lose all sense.  >:D ;D
- Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 12:52:40 AM »
The way the economy is going, Green Acres is just the place to be!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 01:58:57 AM »
Hahahah....laughing....weeping wistfully....grabbing a pitchfork..... ;D
- Paul