Author Topic: Fets Question  (Read 5360 times)

darius

Fets Question
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:09 PM »
Both the previous fetas I made were tasty but later turned to mush in the brine. I've read LOTS on this forum and started another today, basically using the recipe from Fias Co Farm.

My question is about the aging 2-3 days at room temp AFTER draining for 24 hours. She (?) cuts the curds into 2-3" pieces, salts all sides with Kosher salt, and stores them in a sealable container to "harden up" on the counter, where they may continue to weep some whey. Then she puts therm in a glass jar with brine and refrigerates. Says the feta will keep months.

Anyone do this, and if so, what kind of results?

TIA,

mikeradio

Re: Fets Question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »
Hey Darius

I made feta using the recipe from Fias Co Farm and it worked out perfectly.  I still have some in the brine in
the fridge from almost 4 months ago, it has shrunk alittle but but still firm.

I know it seems weird to leave it sit on the counter for 3 days but it does help to firm it up and ripen.
I also used the whey to make the brine, so the PH and calcium levels would match the cheese.

Mike

darius

Re: Feta Question
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
Cool Beans. That's exactly what I wanted to know!

Thanks.

sstrantz

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
I just learned something that really works for this after having tried brining my feta and having it turn to mush EVEN after letting it sit for the 3 days first.  Seemed like nothing I did made a difference until I learned this.

Within a minute of putting it into the brine, feel the surface of the cheese.  If it's at all slimy, add about 1/2 tsp. vinegar per 1/2 gallon brine.  Works like a charm and I haven't had a problem since using this little trick.

Seems that the issue is the acidity level in the brine.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:34:31 AM by Leah's Mom »

darius

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »
How interesting! I knew the acidity level was involved but I thought it was in the feta, not the brine.

I'll be sure to check the surface of the cheese when it hits the brine!

(You get a cheese for THAT tip!)

sstrantz

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:37:29 AM »
Yah...pretty simple after having had so many of them turn to mush that I had about given up on the brining part!!!!     ::)

I said within a minute and that is true, you can actually feel the surface become kind-of slick pretty quickly.  If it isn't discernable, check it again in a few minutes.  If it's slick feeling at all, add the vinigar. 

It's amazing how nicely they've turned out since  ^-^

dttorun

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 01:47:39 AM »
A couple drop of CaCl2 does the same trick. Feta becomes slimy as Ca ions transfer from Feta to brine. When you add Ca ions to brine as CaCl2, you balance the concentration or they migrate from brine to Feta, keeping the cheese firm.
Tan

sstrantz

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »
Strangely enough, I tried the Calcium Chloride several times before I learned about the vinigar and it never worked for me.  It was in March when I was discussing this issue with another cheesemaker and they gave me the vinegar tip.  Haven't had a problem since.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:33:56 AM by Leah's Mom »

darius

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
Is it helpful to use the whey as the brine liquid?

sstrantz

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
My opinion - yes.  But you can do a brine using water if you want to.  I've used both methods w/success as long as I used the vinegar!

jo1973

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
Hi, I made a batch of feta, which was great.  I tried some marinated in olive oil and homegrown herbs, but after being in the fridge for a while the oil has solidified,  the stuff in the shops must have something that stops it doing just that, so does anyone have any suggestions about how to make marinated feta?  Also, I made a batch of feta before this one, and it had a really strong taste, do I need to reduce the measurements of one of the ingredients to stop this. 

Thanks.

sstrantz

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »
I make the marinated feta also and olive oil does thicken when cold.  It's like when you have an olive oil dressing or a bottle of olive oil in the fridge and it begins to thicken up. 

I just take it out of the fridge and it will become liquid again within about 1/2 hour or so.  It won't hurt for it to sit out at room temp so when I want to serve it, I just bring it out and let set at room temperature for the evening/day or whatever makes sense.

dttorun

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 12:38:32 AM »
jo1973
If olive oil freezes in the fridge, it means it is good quality virgin oil. The ones which are not freezing are not virgin or even mixed with other low freezing point oils. Take your olive oil marinated feta out of the fridge 1 hr prior to eating, it will be ready.
You did not mention what did you use as ingredient or what kind of milk you used but, if you are using lipase, you can reduce it or take it out to eliminate strong taste. If it is not the case you can reduce renneting time.
Tan

jo1973

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 01:07:27 AM »
Hi,

thanks, ok that's good to know.  Those shop bought marinated fetas are so expensive and they must use cheap oil, will try leaving the feta out before I want to use it.  I just used full cream milk from the supermarket, calcium chloride, rennet and lipase.  I thought it may have had something to do with the lipase, so might try a smaller amount next time.

sstrantz

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 01:37:22 AM »
I think that lipase is a matter of your taste.  I know that I personally haven't liked it in any of the cheeses I've tried it in.  So for me, personally, I don't use it in my feta.