Author Topic: converting normal fridge to cheese fridge  (Read 8580 times)

jo1973

converting normal fridge to cheese fridge
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:37:57 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I buy a wine fridge or bar fridge what sort of thermostat do i need to get the temperature right?  I have seen people with thermostats that are on the outside.  I am in Australia, so does anyone know where I can get one from?

Thanks.

MrsKK

Re: converting normal fridge to cheese fridge
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »
Hey, Jo, I'm not sure if you have GE products available to you in Australia, but this is the fridge I bought this winter as a cheese cave and it is working great, with no additional equipment needed.  At the lowest setting, it was staying at 55-57 degrees Fahrenheit, so I was able to go one notch cooler and it is maintaining at 53-54 degrees, so just right for my cheese aging purposes.  There is no freezer compartment in this mini fridge, which I believe really helps with keeping the warmer than normal fridge temps.

Good luck!

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »
The main difficulty is maintaining a minimimal RS of 75-80% along with temprature of 12-15c
(A controller is usually required since most fridges dont go as high).

susanky

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
The warmest my fridge would go on the highest setting was 45F.  So I needed this external thermostat.  Just plug the fridge into it and set temp.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00368D6JA
Susan

jo1973

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:46:11 PM »
We do actually have GE here, so I might check them out, thanks.

If I can't get one from there, I might check out ebay, and add the additions you guys suggested.

Thanks.

simbiotic

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
I got my 48 bottle wine fridge from dealsdirect.com.au for $129 and when I bought it I was lucky they had free shipping.
It is the size of a normal bar fridge and it works really well.

jo1973

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15:21 AM »
Oh cool, thanks will check them out.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
When using an external thermometer does that change the temp of the freezer?

arkc

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 03:08:42 PM »
Susanky,

I would like to know that also.  I have a second frig that I have set the fresh for as high as
it will go, and the freezer to almost as warm as it will go.  I can get the frig up to 48 to 50,
which is fine. But the freezer is right on the edge of freezing this way. I would like to be able
to set the frig for 50 and have the freezer fully functioning.  I use this freezer.

annie

susanky

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
Well I haven't tried to measure the temp  in the freezer.  I'll put a thermostat in there.  I'm sure it was change it as the refrigerator kick off because of the external thermostat.  I'd guess that the temp of the freezer is less stable because I have the sensor in the refrigerator.  Will report back!
Susan

JPsCheese

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:31 AM »
Hi everyone, Newbe here but have been wanting to make cheese for quite some time now. The direction I'm looking to go is to use a full size fridge/freezer. I bought a johnson control external temperature controller. I plan to use a hole saw and drill 2 holes between the the top freezer and the bottom fridge. I bought 2 dayton 110v fans that will be installed, one to pull air from the fridge into the freezer and one to blow air from the freezer into the fridge.  The fans should keep both chambers at the same temperature and will run all the time. The compressor will only cycle on when the controller energizes the unit.

I'm still trying to determine how to age the cheese (individual containers and some open) but that shold be solved soon by reading the forum here.

I was lucky enough to make friends with a very well known local cheese maker and learned quite a bit from him so I looking to build on my current knowledge and learn more as I go. I also have access to local Raw Milk so that will be a bonus too.

Looking forward to chatting with people here!

JP