Author Topic: Parmesan - Pressing & Brining pH Recommendations  (Read 3155 times)

BigCheese

Parmesan - Pressing & Brining pH Recommendations
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
Recently I cracked all 3 of Parms (approx 9 months). One of them really pleased me. It had good flavor and was almost as dry as it should be. It was very close to actually needing a chisel to get through.

Anyway, I am trying to reproduce it but I had not noted the PH at hooping. What is a good PH at that point? What about brining, what should PH be before brining? Todays 10.5 gallon Parm was hooped at 6.44, which seemed perhaps high. I used approx 1:3 TA61/LH100.

mikeradio

Re: Parmesan - Pressing & Brining pH Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:38 PM »
Here's a recipe that shows the PH markers

Mike

Parmigiano Reggiano

Ingredients:
7 gallon of raw milk skimmed
1/8 teaspoon TA61
1/4 teaspoon LH100
1/8 teaspoon MM100
1/2 teaspoon Kid Lipase
1-3/4 teaspoons Veggie rennet

Procedure:
Milk is heat to 76°C (167°F) and cooled rapidly to 36 °C  (97°F).

The acidification is obtained adding latte to a natural sieroinnesto, characterized from microorganisms of the species of L. helveticus, L. bulgaricus and L. lactis . 1/8 TA61, 1/4 LH100 and 1/8 MM100. 1/2 teaspoon Lipases added rehydrated in 1/4 cup distilled water. pH before rennet 6.50.

The coagulation is obtained using serium of the  of the young goat. Completed the coagulation in 10-15 minuteren, the curd comes manually cut before in great slices, allowed to rest  for 10 minuteren and then reduced till the dimension of grains of rice with small wheel and spino for 10 minuteren.

A value to be 1/3 is drained and then cut she passes herself to the phase of slow baking arriving to approximately 45 °C (113 °F) for  15 minuteren, and then they quickly till approximately 55 °C  (131 °F) for 15 minuteren, knows itself maintaining the mass in constant agitation.

Finished to the heating the curd it must rest, carefullied lay down on the bottom of the boiler till the attainment of the just degree of acidity. pH 6.3-6.4

The extraction happens with shovel and burlaps, preparing large fagotti that they remain to sgrondare till the completion of the acidification. Always enclosed inside of burlaps, the curd comes inserted in fascere of wood and compressed with the aid of a disc of wood and a weight.

pH of the curd before brining: 5.1

The clearing of the serum continues slowly for approximately 24 hours and during this period of time the fascera comes progressively compressed, reducing of the diameter with an appropriate system to rope and the cheese comes many times over rivoltato.

After approximately 48 hours it begins the long phase of salt out in pickling brine to the temperature of approximately 15 °C  (59 °F) than hard approximately a month and door the cheese to a content of 1.5% and 2% of knows them.

The hard stagionatura from 9 to 24 months in conditioned premises to 15-18 °C  (59 to 65°F) with temperatures opportunely modulated in first is/seven months. The cheese remains supported on shelves in wood and during the stagionatura it comes subordinate to rivoltamenti, spazzolature, scorings and oliature of the crust.

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:55:09 PM »
Alright, so 6.44 is not too shabby! Thanks.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:41 PM »
I like parm curd fuse at around 6.4, and brine at 5.2. 6.44 is OK, but a little high to my taste because then it takes a longer time to mature. I like a 12 month aging so I can eat them sooner.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »
Can romano be treated the same in terms of Ph marks?
It seems like the majority of acidification is happening at the press while I thought I would happen during cooking.

Peter dixon notes:
"The curd is cut into large pieces the size of a whole cheese, which is placed into the cloth-lined hoops. After filling the hoops, the whey should test .30% titratable acidity (pH 5.50)."
I was well above 6 when pressing under whey (It was a small make so I gather all the tiny rice sized curd into my mold and pressed under the whey for 10-15 minutes. so at draining\pressing I was at about 6.37.
Its been about 7 hours in the press at 30c ambient and ph as 5.45

Should I brine at 5.1?