Author Topic: Rethermalizer - can this be used to make cheese?  (Read 3467 times)

susanky

Rethermalizer - can this be used to make cheese?
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
This contraption holds over 16 gallons and has a heat source.  But I have no idea what it is/how it works and couldn't find much info on the internet.  Does anyone think this could be useful for cheesemaking?

http://www.fasttrackauction.net/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?fasttrack563/35
Susan

linuxboy

Re: Rethermalizer - can this be used to make cheese?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »
http://www.pitco.com/retherm.htm

Just a fancy heater; it'd work for cheese. But be careful, that's a 208 volt. Couldn't run it normally on 220/240V power without some adjustments.

susanky

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:11:44 PM »
Good to know!  Likely not worth the trouble.  I saw that but thought it must be an error or I didn't understand it.  Because why would they do that?  Who has 208 volts?  I also couldn't find a temperature range.  Proabably too high.  It seemed hard to resist as they seem to want to GIVE it away in this auction.  But I will maintain control! 
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
It has to do with the standards. 208v used to be the common commercial run to restaurants in 3 phase. Now, most runs are 240v.

A lot of time you can rewire the 208 into 240 on the panel of the cooker/vat.

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »
You will likely need an electrician to install a 208V Power supply with fuse, plug and junction box.  Get a quote before you buy such machine.

208v are very common in industrial units, from factories to computer servers. You may be able to find an IBM or Mitsubishi inverter or power supply unit for a good price. Still, I would hire an electrician and get their opinion
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:55:28 PM by iratherfly »

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
You will likely need an electrician to install a 208V Power supply with fuse, plug and junction box.  Get a quote before you buy such machine.
You'd need a buck-boost converter and phase switch to go from normal 120/240 drops. The 208 service is usually delivered by the power company, typically not done on site. It's possible to do, but somewhat of a PITA. Usually, much, much easier to convert the cooker because honestly, it doesn't matter what kind of electricity you're using for heating. It's easier to heat with 208 3 ph because it takes fewer amps to give those elements enough juice. Most of the time, with a bit of rewiring, you can run 208 equipment on 240 single phase just fine.

smilingcalico

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
You guys just fried my brain, can you help me rewire it?!?  Too bad I'm not as knowledgeable about matters electric, that seems like a great unit for taking home cheesemaking to the next level. 

susanky

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 02:35:14 AM »
And still only at $22.50 in the auction!  But gonna have to pass.  When  you say 'you could just rewire it'.  Really.  I couldn't.  I guess I'll just stick with my boring pot in a double boiler for now.
Susan

susanky

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »
Ok the rethermalizer won't work.  But how about a tilting kettle?
http://www.fasttrackauction.net/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?fasttrack563/21

Not interested in this one as too small.  But I've seen some that are much bigger.  Would this make cheesemaking a snap?  Of course first I'd have to figure out how to hook the thing up!
Susan

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
Yes a tilting kettle will work very well. That one uses gas, but electric ones are available too. They are often 220 volt and may be 3 phase (which is generally not available at home), so shop carefully. Some kettle are self contained while others, especially the larger ones, have to use an external source for "steam".

I looked at them and decided to go a different route in my shop. When you "tilt" you have to be able to deal with the whey, etc that pours out, so it didn't fit my setup. I believe that linuxboy uses a kettle.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
Just wanted to add a note - I'm pretty sure it's been thought of already, just wouldn't want a surprise - but the self-contained electric varieties obviously kick up your kW energy bill, when compared to direct plumbed versions. 
- Paul

smilingcalico

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 12:38:10 AM »
I see that's a natural gas model.  Do you have natural gas at home? You may need to figure out a way to pipe it in if you don't already have a source for it.  If going from a good ol propane type tank, you may also need to find a coupler, but that would likely be easier than rewiring the previous item you had in mind.

susanky

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 08:38:01 PM »
Yes a tilting kettle will work very well. That one uses gas, but electric ones are available too. They are often 220 volt and may be 3 phase (which is generally not available at home), so shop carefully. Some kettle are self contained while others, especially the larger ones, have to use an external source for "steam".

The kettles are nice and there are 5-6 of them in an auction that is ending soon.  But many are 208V.  All of that is too much trouble for me.  I'm not that handy.  So now just looking for a >10 gallon stock pot. 
Susan