Author Topic: Swelling Pressed Cheese - During Aging, Yeast Infection  (Read 5128 times)

Cheese Head

Re: Swelling Pressed Cheese - During Aging, Yeast Infection
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
Holes appearance time and yeasty smell points towards yeast infection.
Also I have given up my bread making totally while making cheese.
As you said the above, it indicates that you have make bread regularly so there could still be a lot of it floating around your kitchen/make room that you need to clean out.

I have not had your problem and also make bread but just bread machine type.

Personally I doubt your water. Also I think I read in another yeast infection thread that the yeast scent/flavour declines in time and the cheese was good to eat, so I wouldn't be feeding the chickens just yet.

nzchick

Re: Swelling Pressed Cheese - During Aging, Yeast Infection
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 12:23:52 AM »
Well I had not baked bread or any yeast product for maybe 2 months before starting cheese. My kitchen was probably not the cleanest tho hence the rather big clean lately.
Latest and I swear the very cleanest I have ever been in my whole life.. still a few hours after taking out of press-aprox 18hrs after make- same holes as i have previously pictured. So for now I given up!

But on a better note- my feta after draining 24 hrs looked and tasted very mediocre compared with other batches at this time..was my first one using flora danica- but a few days after completly forgetting about it in the fridge it is great! Yummmy
here is pic- also not the small round holes? what are they from? it is not pressed either so there are bigger mechanical holes.

It is soo yummy in toasties- I seem to be good at making melty feta.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:29:39 AM by nzchick »