Author Topic: Half Pressed Wheels - How Make?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Half Pressed Wheels - How Make?
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:32:20 PM »
I have some Ideas for some washed rind cheeses, but budget and my boarderline OCD is kicking in and they are telling me to compromise to get it done.  I have thought that if I make a Tomme and "cut it in half" that would solve the problem...BUT I have read here, that others have had problems with the "cut" side not ripening properly or the rind not forming correctly.  I have also thought about using two cheesecloth "bags" in the mould to separate the two halves, but I can already see the problems in that. 
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this kind of thing?

Tomer1

Re: Half Pressed Wheels - How Make?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
Trying to seperate two halfs with cloth will leave you with stuck cloth.
Maybe use a piece of plastic as a devider but im concerned about even draining, its like having your mold perforated on just one side.

You can try cutting after pressing and using dry salting to form a rind on the cut side.

sstrantz

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »
How 'bout rigging an inexpensive "off the wall" lever press for your second half.  You can just make the larger batch, divide into 2 molds, then press in 2 separate presses.

Pretty inexpensive solution. 

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
So your suggesting making a really thin cheese?
If he wishes to eventually let the rind dry after washing hes gone have almost as much rind as paste.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:31:23 PM »
Trying to seperate two halfs with cloth will leave you with stuck cloth.
Maybe use a piece of plastic as a devider but im concerned about even draining, its like having your mold perforated on just one side.

You can try cutting after pressing and using dry salting to form a rind on the cut side.

The sticking cloth is my main worry, I was thinking wax or parchment paper as a divider rather than plastic.  It might not bind in the follower.

How 'bout rigging an inexpensive "off the wall" lever press for your second half.  You can just make the larger batch, divide into 2 molds, then press in 2 separate presses.

Pretty inexpensive solution. 

I thought about that, but I rent the townhouse I live in, and the basement is concrete with no exposed supports.  Thanks though.

Offline JimP

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
As a beginner, I've wanted to do the same.
My method to date is to cut the pressed curd in 2 and separate these 'halves' with cheese cloth during the last pressing.
Waiting to the last pressing makes it a little easier to separate the 2 cheeses when de-molding than if you try this method starting with your initial pressing.
The cheese cloth separators are pre-cut to the mold diameter.
My biggest problem is in getting the resulting 2 cheeses to be of equal size.
Alternatively, I've seen stainless metal 'separators' for sale:  http://www.cheesemaking.com/StainlessSteelFollower.html. I would think these could do the same as the cheese cloth separator, even though it is described as being placed between the curd and follower. Or, if I continue to do this, I may make my own 'separators' from cheap cutting boards (food grade plastic).
Hope this helps.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
Use Plyban. Won't stick.

zenith1

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »
Yeah have to agree-since I switched to Plyban I have not had the problem .