Author Topic: Favorite commerical yogurt for starter?  (Read 1869 times)

biondanonima

Favorite commerical yogurt for starter?
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »
I have just started making my own yogurt and I am enjoying learning about the process and experimenting with timing, etc.  I've been using Stonyfield yogurt as my starter, but I was wondering if anyone had other favorite starters.  I prefer a thick, Greek-style yogurt with plenty of tang, and I find that my homemade yogurt, while tasty (and plenty thick once strained) isn't as tangy as Fage or other Greek yogurts.  I plan to use Fage as my culture for my next batch, but I was wondering if any one had any other favorite starters?  Thanks!

dthelmers

Re: Favorite commerical yogurt for starter?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »
We like to use Chobani, but it doesn't re-culture well for us. The first batch comes out fantastic, but when we use some of the first batch for the second batch it doesn't set as well.
Dave in CT

darius

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:11:10 PM »
IIRC, Stonyfield has started adding thickeners/gums to their yogurts... I do just fine with Dannon plain (not non=fat) but prefer a mix of Fage and Dannon because thay contain different cultures.

McCreamy

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »
Greek Gods yogurt works great for me! I have used their plain, and their honey. They worked the same for me. Otherwise, I just keep some from the make to use the next time.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:20:22 PM »
I also use Greek Gods as McCreamy has.  When I make a batch, I set aside a pint of the cultured milk in a separate, sterilized container and put it in the warmer with the bigger container.  I use that pint for culturing my next couple of batches and have been able to reculture that way for over six months at a time.

I would recommend using a yogurt that you like as your culture.  If it doesn't come out tangy enough for you, try leaving it in the warmer for a bit longer until it is just right.