Author Topic: A newbie thats got the "bug"!!  (Read 1362 times)

dagmar

A newbie thats got the "bug"!!
« on: May 07, 2011, 12:04:51 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have been roving around this site for some six weeks now after attending a hands-on cheesemaking course. Ive been hooked!!! on both the site and cheesemaking.
Have gathered together loads of gear, none of which could be called specifically cheesemaking equipment. Have a ready supply of cows milk, unfortunately it needs to be obtained manually and we are moving into winter here in NZ. The cattle yards cum milking race are not the greatest place to be on a wet, cold morning but Blossom my elderly nurse cow is always most obliging.
Have already made some batches of camembert, and blue brie and several rounds of the real stuff ie colby, gouda, parmesan which is quietly maturing.
All the softer cams have been eaten but Im not at a stage when I would like to wrap and hold some.
Questions:For wrapping do I use the cheese paper followed by the foil or the foil next to the cheese and the paper on the outside?
Can I store the wrapped cheeses in the kitchen fridge or do they need to be in an airtight container?
Looking forward to being involved in this forum and sharing information.
Many thanks Dagmar :D

smilingcalico

Re: A newbie thats got the "bug"!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:54:57 PM »
Dagmar, sounds like you're already fairly accomplished in your cheesemaking.  Trust me, Camembert should also be included in "the real stuff".  I personally don't wrap my cams, but keep them in a container in my fridge.  Search the forum and you'll find lots of info on what works for many people.  One trick I remember that one member does is to crinkle the foil before wrapping the Camembert. It holds in a bit more oxygen and allows a place for the mold to grow.  Have fun!

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »
Welcome dagmar, several Kiwi's here!

Just to add, when I used to try to make Cams I used specially made wraps that had a wax paper on inside and plastic layer on outside.

Never store Cams airtight, need to breath, as sc says search and you should find lots more info.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »
Hi dagmar and welcome to the forum and the bug!

Some people here know that I am not a big fan of wrapping and get better result with other affinage techniques such as tapping and rubbing the cheese lightly at least once a day when you turn it.

Also do not use airtight container. The cheese needs air and 90% relative Humidity (RH) is good, not 100% - so leave a slot of air and let them breathe a bit.

You can age them in a refrigerator if you don't have a cellar or wine fridge but it is a growth and acidity inhibitor, so expect it to take considerably longer and you will end up with cheese that has a more mature paste texture but far milder flavor and aroma.

If you must wrap, my best recommendation is to find perforated cellophane. in a side-by-side comparison I did with foil, un-perforated cellophane, wax paper and two types of specialized cheese paper, the perforated cellophane won hands down. Night and day difference.  Problem is finding it. I wouldn't know where to begin in NZ.

dagmar

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »
Ya. you are right. You can keep cheese qualitative for a long time by raping  it with foil paper & you can keep it your kitchen fridge.

I actually unwrapped all my cheeses and have just left them in the fridge in unsealed containers. However, we are eating them fast, and the kilos are appearing round the waist line!!!!!
Was interested in your comment regarding foil paper. How long will it keep?
Have you tried this method?
We just cannot eat all that I'm making and need an effective method of storing cams for the next two months when the cows are dried off  Can someone help please.