Author Topic: Boursin Cheese - Low-Fat Alternative  (Read 19813 times)

smelly

Boursin Cheese - Low-Fat Alternative
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »
Hi cheesies :)
I love Boursin because it is so creamy and garlicky.  The problem is that it is 50% fat - does anyone know of a good low-fat alternative to Boursin?
I love to use it either just on herb crackers or even stuffed in chicken breast.
Thanks!!!

Cheese Head

Re: Boursin Cheese - Low-Fat Alternative
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:04:27 AM »
Hi Smelly and welcome to this forum!

Wow, I haven't had any Boursin in a long time so I went and bought some today. Funny thing was my local Kroger large grocery chain store had only one flavour - Boursin Light Garlic & Fine Herbs! Tasted great but for me needs more garlic ;D.

I just checked Boursin's website and in summary, Boursin is a brand of flavoured spreadable fresh-unripened cheese taht is produced in Normandy France. The light original flavour I bought is the only light product they make and is around 1/4 the fat and less than 1/2 the calories of normal. The current Boursin flavours are:
  • Garlic & Fine Herbs (Original)
  • Pepper
  • Shallot & Chive
  • Fig, Raisin & Nut
  • Garlic & Roasted Red Pepper
  • Light Garlic & Fine Herbs

Another fresher and cheaper option is to make your own using store bought light cream cheese as a base. Here's one simple recipe for Boursin original flavour, mix together:
  • 8 ounces of cream cheese
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon minced parsley
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

I also found two other recipes for original Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs, one here, and second here.

If you wanted to get even more keen, how about making your own light french cream cheese called Neufchatel (named after a town also in Normandy) and then adding the herbs in either of the above two recipes? I made my first Neufchatel a couple weeks ago (all eaten now) and posted my pictures here.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:33:33 PM by Cheese Head »

Cheesemonger

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »
My theory on delicious, but calorie rich, things like cheese and chocolate is to avoid the low fat version (because hey, what's the point if it doesn't taste good?!), and just rely on moderation.  Eat boursin cheese and enjoy, just not everyday.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:49:34 AM »
Hi Cheesemonger, I agree but my wife keeps buying light mayonaise etc.

Smelly, I took my own advice but instead of making another low fat Neufchatel as the base I took Cheesemongers advice and yesterday made 2 lb/0.9 kg of Cream Cheese using Half & Half, very easy. OK not low cal, but don't need much on a cracker! I just took 1/2 this fresh Cream Cheese and added some herbs (didn't have chives) and made a very nice garlic & herb Boursin like spreadable cream cheese, records here. Tastes great, should be better tomorrow when flavours settle in.

PS: I calculate it cost me about $4 to make 2 lb/0.9 kg of Boursin vs buying it for $25 and as you know what ingredients are in it, probably way healthier, except that we now have so much to eat of course . . .  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:24:48 AM by Cheese Head »

Herb N Cheddr

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:37:50 AM »
Fromage Blanc is a good alternative and you can make it with 2% milk.   Add herbs and spices and it's very close to Boursin.
 :)