Author Topic: Press - Carter's Cheese Press No.3  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Press - Carter's Cheese Press No.3
« on: January 09, 2009, 06:12:45 AM »
So I'm onto Cheese Press Number 3. The first one I madea a while ago, actually the first one I made was 8 years ago, but the new ones I made recently. The large one I made out of an old keg, it's way too bulky and heavy. So I made a larger version of cheese press number 2. I'll post pics tomorrwo. I'll be able to fit a 15" high and 15" wide mold in it. It won't be so big that I'll still need the small one. I can use one for all molds. That means I might have a cheap press for sale soon..Calling Dave.

Likesspace

Re: Press - Carter's Cheese Press No.3
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
Okay Carter, you got my attention.
Either PM me or I can give you a call within the next day or so. This Friday is turning out to be a  real......well, not a good one.
Thanks a lot.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:13:48 AM »
Here is the new press same design as press #2 but bigger. believe it or not that mold is 11 outside diamter and 16 inches high.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:35:20 AM »
So i've finished with my 15 gallon Parmesan and I've got some new design challenges with my new press and large molds. First off when I make stilton and press my name into it, it worked fine as the follower kind of suctions on and is a tad loose (perfect fit) and stilton leaks whey for the entire time it's out in the open before aging providing lubrication for the cheese to use to slide down. So after I flip it the cheese and follower slide down and it's fine, but for the larger mold is a bigger challenge. When I pressed my parmesan it really pressed the cheese in and the followers are a little tighter so I couldn't get it to stay together which means I won't be able to keep the followers in the same impressions. I think I came up with a solution.

The question I need to answer is; does flipping the cheese during pressing do anything other than allowing the other side able to drain more whey? I figured that I'll just press it and keep it pressed but rotate the press. I'm going to drill weep holes in the sides of the mold, then I'm going to build a platform to be able to tip the press on it's side. So after I load up the press and make the first initial press to form the wheel, I'll tip the press on it's side and let it drain out both the top and bottom at the same time. Then when it's time to flip the cheese I'll just rotate the mold like I'm spinning a wheel. This should solve my problem so I don't have to take the cheese out of the mold and loose my follower's impressions.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
Pressing a cheese sounds like it is getting more complicated and more complicated?? 

Wouldn't it be easier to just have a slotted recess in the mould and follower, so that it can only go on one way?

Still waiting to see those pics of this cheese pressed ... tapping foot here

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:42:05 PM »
Tea, the pic of the pressed cheese will be posted in a minute under the Parmesan 15 gallon batch. Thanks for waiting.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:56:39 AM »
So here is cheese press #3 modified. The point is the drain board is mounted so it doesn't slide around and on the drain board are two pins to hold the bottom of the mold so it doesn't slip. So now I'll press for the first pressing then tilt it down and continue to press horizontally. Then when the recipe calls for flipping the cheese I'll just rotate the hoop, like you spin a car tire, and there ya go.