Author Topic: Stilton Aging  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Stilton Aging
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »
How long do you think I can age a Stilton for? Can I go years? Or if I do should I age for a certain period then continue aging at a colder temp that might inhibit more mold growth, or wax it, although stiltons have beautiful rinds.

Likesspace

Re: Stilton Aging
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:28:54 AM »
Hmm.....
I can't really answer your question on this one Carter. I've never heard of anyone aging their Stilton for years yet this is a new cheese to me, as it is to you.
As for waxing the cheese.....
Many blues that I've bought in the past, have been waxed. I'm sure this would extend the aging period but I have no idea by how much.
If considering waxing I would wait until at least the three month period before doing so. That way you have given your Stilton plenty of time to performing the veining which does require air to enter the center of the cheese.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:32:49 AM »
I'll age one for years and let you know. I'll decide as it goes if I need to wax it to keep it from molding further and consuming all the cheese.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:40:57 AM »
Hey, now that you are finally online (and I'm finally going to bed) check your p.m.'s. I'm interested in your cheese press.
Talk to you soon.
Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:42:50 AM »
Dave if you still have my number call me tomorrow as I'm making my 15 gallon parmesan. I need to ask you some questions. I was in the shop all day and couldn't get to the computer.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:35:18 PM »
Carter I thought that video that you posted on the stilton said that there was a small window of time when it was ripe and that was around the 16 week period?  I need to look at it again.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:46:57 PM »
Yes, it did but I was wondering what would happen if you aged it longer.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »
Well there you go!! Another experiement on hand for you to do.

Likesspace

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
Carter.....
I just now saw your message (today, Sunday). Sorry I didn't call. That's why you had all of the questions for me in your messages. Sorry for the extra typing you had to do.
This darn head cold has me in a daze and I'm trying to work on a sales forecast for the next year. This is due on Monday morning and so far my crystal ball isn't giving me what I need.
Could someone please tell me how I am supposed to know what the economy is going to do over the next 11-1/2 months??
I love the company I work for, but sometimes the suits come up with things that just really do not make a lot of sense (sigh).
Oh well, back to work....

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »
No problem dave.