Author Topic: Wick System - For Increasing Cave Humidity  (Read 2153 times)

Jaspar

Wick System - For Increasing Cave Humidity
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:08:43 AM »
 Quick thought:  I've been thinking about ways to control the humidity in my small cave.
Would a mason jar with some type of wick work? The reason I ask is it seems everyone with a mini cave (dorm or wine fridge) seems to have to replace cups of water a couple of times a day. Maybe a quart jar with 2 slots cut in the lid with a couple of unused lamp wicks.
  Pull them out for more humidity, in for less.

Jaspar
 or even a plastic bowl and lid with slots and wicks

mainelycheese

Re: Wick System - For Increasing Cave Humidity
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:19:53 AM »
it takes some fiddling to get the right humidity, but using a wick, a sponge, or even cheesecloth with it's end in a bowl of water are all ways to increase humidity.

Trey Magnus

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
I am still trying to work this issue out with my (wine fridge) cave also.  What I found out is that my caves cooling coils are behind the back wall.  When the compressor is on, the back wall cools and condensates the humidity on the wall.  It then collects and runs down the back wall and is guided into a hole that goes outside the cooler and  into a pan near the compressor where the heat from the compressor evaporates the water.  What I have done (that has helped a lot), is to plug that hole in the bottom back of the cooler.  I have not gotten the RH exactly where I want it yet, but plugging that hole (to keep the water in the cooler) has made a huge improvement.  You might want to take a look at your cooler and see if it operates the same way.

mrsick44

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:04:14 AM »
Hi all,
I've been doing some work with wicking in a small wine fridge recently and I've begun to have some consistency in the getting the humidity higher. I hang a piece of damp cheese cloth over the fan ( I use two thumbtacks to hold it in place) and then place the end of the cheese cloth in a small plastic cup of water. I havent added any water yet and its been set up like this for two days. The most noticeable change-humidity is averaging about 80% and previously, it was more like 70%. I hope that helps  :P