Author Topic: Joining the Blue Bandwagon  (Read 4570 times)

darius

Re: Joining the Blue Bandwagon
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 03:06:53 PM »
I intended to update this thread a week ago. My blues went into the garbage bin. I was away for 4 days, turned them before I left and left the rubbermaid tub lid slightly ajar. When I got home and went to turn them again, there was a fly in the container and maggots in at least the earlier blue. I threw them both away, all 5 pounds. No more aging in the root cellar until winter, unless vacuum-sealed!!

I did cut it open to see how the veining was looking. I'm pretty pleased with that part.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Bummer. You could always use mosquito netting under the lid.

darius

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
Ahhh, great idea, Sailor!

OudeKaas

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 12:42:02 AM »
That mottled rind looks fabulous! Should be interesting to see how the unsmoothed surface turns out in terms of mold penetration into the deep crevices between the curds. Very curious to see a slice when you finally cut it . . .

darius

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
Brandnetel, it went into the garbage... re-read my post from yesterday.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
At the beginning of this thread, I mentioned I had started my first 'Stilton' when the tornadoes hit and I lost power... including the online recipe and instructions I was following.

I decided to save it anyway, just for the experience. When we got power again and I checked the recipe, I found the biggest thing I missed was the size of the curds. By the time I could read the recipe, it was many days later so no changes were possible.

At any rate, here it is at 26 days, just pierced. (The second one above that looks like a birthday cake is coming along, slowly. It's rather moist on the surface so I'm opening the container more often now.)

Man, darius, have to say - that looks downright beautiful.  Great.  Another cave I have to build, thanks. ;D
- Paul

darius

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
Thanks, Paul. I really feel good about the development of those 2 blues even though they ended up in the garbage bin.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
Oh, arghhhhh - sorry, darius, didn't see your above post, only saw the pic of your beautiful blue from the last page.  I'm so sorry, man!  Congratulations nevertheless on crafting such a beautiful wheel - I'm sure next round will be a home run. :)
- Paul

OudeKaas

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »
Allow me to add my condolences to the list. The veining did look splendid!

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »
Such a shame.  It was looking very promising.  I think the netting would do the trick, and the progress you were making suggests it is certainly worth doing again.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 10:57:52 PM »
I was having some danblue today and compering it side by side to my stilton and despite being of different style I much prefered mine,
Less salty,more mild (I like this strain of italian PR,gone keep buying it) and better texture.

Tomer1

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 11:06:12 PM »
Crappy phone picture,
The one's from my dads nikon D40 will come up soon.  >:D

Some 3 month out gouda which seems to have overly acidify, wasnt a success.
Some lactic cheese logs with cheevs,very early PC and sweet paprica.

darius

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »
Never fear Jeff... I got back on the horse again this evening. Curds are just now cut, and healing.

JeffHamm

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 01:34:48 AM »
Excellent to hear!  A cheese for perseverance!

- Jeff