Author Topic: primitive technology...no electricity  (Read 3859 times)

gaidagirl

primitive technology...no electricity
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:11:03 PM »
OK...so everywhere I look there's information on setting up cheese aging caves/rooms with humidifiers, temperature controllers, etc...

However, I know that people have been making cheese much longer than there's been electricity available...and where I live there is no reliable electricity available ( I have a couple of solar panels for lighting needs)... does anyone have information, resources, or better yet, experience with setting up a more "primitive" aging room? 

Cheese Head

Re: primitive technology...no electricity
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:55:23 PM »
Hi gaidagirl, welcome, I'm thinking either a natural rock cave or a humid cool basement type root cellar.

Or you could go with instant cheeses like Light Cream Cheese also called American Neufchatel here.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:02:06 AM »
They either dug\used manmade\natural caves,
If thos were not available they simply made specific types of cheeses, mainly brined and fresh cheeses.

So with primitive means you cannot make any cheese...

margaretsmall

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:15:44 AM »
I guess it depends a bit on where you live. We have a cold climate by Australian standards (although those of you in the northern hemisphere would laugh at that!) and I've found that my wine fridge which is in a sheltered store building, is actually maintaining a good temp. for aging without actually being switched on during winter - summer will be a different matter of course. So I imagine you will be able to find some way of maintaining a steady coolish temperature, at least for some periods in the year. How do you keep things cool now?
Margaret

dthelmers

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:51:24 AM »
In the 1920's and 1930's, my grandmother in Wisconsin had a cistern in the cellar for keeping things cold, like a well, but dry, about six feet deep. They'd keep food in a box in the hole, raise and lower it with a rope and counterweight.
Dave in CT

DETERMINED

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:39:25 AM »
Is the climate at your location suitable for an ice house?

darius

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
If you have a decent water supply, you can make a double-wall evaporative cooler, like a Zeer Pot, or a Charcoal cooler.

http://www.appropedia.org/Zeer_pot_refrigeration_%28design%29
http://www.sharingsustainablesolutions.org/passive-cooling-2/
http://www.appropedia.org/Charcoal_Cooler

You could also build a natural cold cupboard...

smilingcalico

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 05:07:13 AM »
Where are you located?  What are your high temperatures?  What kind of budget do you have?  Coffee Joe just finished building a cave in Venezuela I think.  Check some of his posts.  I think others have posted some good ideas.  Feta is a great, long lasting cheese.  I like Dave's story about his Grandma.  Look for those tips from yesteryear to know how to do it!

coffee joe

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »
In the days before electricity, cheese was made all over the world. The results are based upon the climate. The cheese you can make will reflect that climate.
There are commercial refrigerators that run on propane or even charcoal that will freeze water. There are other options, but if you don't want to use energy, make a cheese that will withstand your climate.
If you post your Latitude and Altitude, many here can give some better ideas of what is possible.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

suziedd

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 03:34:31 AM »
Would you consider building a hut,of rammed earth or brick?The walls need to be thick,at least half a metre.It needs a solid door and to stand where it is  shaded for the greater part of the day.