Author Topic: Reblochon Revolution  (Read 1686 times)

CheeseSnipe

Reblochon Revolution
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
So I stumbled on someone else's thread that had a Reblochon recipe. I had no idea what is was so I decided to make one since I had some b.linens sitting around begging to be used.  Upon the second week it quickly started to breakdown (as all my brie and cam variants have so far) so I threw it in the cave and forgot about it. (i.e. I didn't let it breathe, I didn't wash it down regularly I just left it) Two months later I was cleaning out all the failed experiements (always a sad day  :-[ ) and when I flipped the Reblochon out on the counter to inspect what went wrong it surprisingly was very firm contrary to the pool of cheese goo that was in the bottom of the container. So I sliced into it, took a whiff ( bit of a funk as expected), and took that dreaded bite. Brilliant! It was definitely on the mild side, which I now know is due to my b.linens being a bit old and weak (I need to rehydrate fresh stuff next time).  But overall its what I've been striving for in my white mold cheeses that so far has eluded me for some reason regardless of recipe, temp, wrapping, etc.  It was a hit with everyone that tried it. And now that I'm down to one small 2x2" piece I say to myself, "self, its time to get this party started again."  O0

JeffHamm

Re: Reblochon Revolution
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
That looks really good!  Just goes to show that it's best not to call a cheese a failure early on (although I accept that the runny cheese goo doesn't sound like it improved with age! :) )

- Jeff

iratherfly

Re: Reblochon Revolution
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:58:54 AM »
Your B.Linens only did not activate because you gave up on the cheese and stopped washing... This would have worked and you would have gotten that smell and color you are looking for.  Looks like your make is good. Do it again! Reblochon is not a very strong cheese. It's quite mild

Which recipe did you use?