Author Topic: Banbury Cheese Making Recipe - Extinct?  (Read 4666 times)

TommyTW15

Banbury Cheese Making Recipe - Extinct?
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »

Hey,

I am from a market town called Banbury in Oxfordshire, UK.

I have recently found out that the town used to have its own cheese which is sadly no longer produced commercially. It seems to be so lost that i am really struggling to find a recipe.

I know that this is a long shot especially as this forum is mostly US based but if anyone has any info it would really helpand if anyone has a recipe that would make my day.

T

linuxboy

Re: Banbury Cheese Making Recipe - Extinct?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
Here's the recipe I have:

Take a cheese vat and hot milk as it comes from the cow and run it forth withal in summer time and cut your curds but once and cut them not too small but break them once with your hands And in summer time salt the curds nothing but let the cheese lie three days unsalted and then salt them And lay one on other but not too much salt and so shall they gather butter And in winter time in like wise but then heat your milk and salt your curds for then it will gather butter of itself.

It sounds like this is a white stilton made into ~1-1.5" disks, like a camembert (don't know diameter), dry salted in summer, and heated and curd salted in winter. Uses rich milk.

That recipe above is from a cookbook from the 16th century.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:58:11 PM by linuxboy »

arkc

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
There is also a cute 'blurb' about this cheese that I found.  Here is the link:

http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Grose-ProvincialDictionary/local-proverbs/oxfordshire-banbury-cheese.html

annie

kookookachoo

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
Ha!  Right as I read this, I immediately thought, "is this a Banbury tale?".   :P  I've had Banbury cakes when we visited gran's family in Bristol & Bath, but I don't think they were made of cheese, as much as some kind of bread & fruit.  Haven't had them in years.   

Will you attempt this cheese recipe TommyTW? 

TommyTW15

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:26 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for all the help guys, i will try definately try the recipe. The Banbury cake is something different. It is a pasty based cake with dried fruit, very nice too.

T