Author Topic: Camembert - Too Moist After Forming, How Correct?  (Read 1394 times)

Katbaker

Camembert - Too Moist After Forming, How Correct?
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »
I'm hoping someone can help............
This is my first Camembert I've already fallen at the first hurdle- not letting the whey drain out of it for long enough (only five hours) so its a bit flat!! But I'm not giving up on it.  :) so i put it in my cheese cave (in a box) the temp is about 45f but after a week of letting it drain in there removing the extra whey making sure that its not sat in the whey it is still wet annoying! So I'm not guessing its not going to dry in there so do i bring it out to room temp to let the surface dry? There is no mould growth.

Tomer1

Re: Camembert - Too Moist After Forming, How Correct?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:56:07 PM »
If its extemly moist it wont hold it shape and eventually become flat as a disk.
You should return it to the mold and give it a few more days.

dagmar

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 12:05:44 AM »
I had the same problem with a Cammy I made recently ( used a new recipe)
I also returned it to the mould overnight, however, it made little difference. Top and bottom OK but the sides wouldn't hold and I ended up with these plate like cammys. Left them in my box cave for 2 weeks and although they looked OK and got a nice white mold a gross smell started to develop.
They were used as pig tucker........................pigs wouldn't touch them.
I know my comments aren't much help, but maybe its time to ditch them and start again.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:54:53 AM »
Patience... is the key to cheesemaking. (and also trying again when it doesn't work the first time).  Drainage is VERY important in Camembert style cheese. It's not only about the mold but also about preventing slip skin and accelerated ammoniation before the cheese is ripe.

45F is too low to age this. It may take 10-12 days for the mold to appear. It is normal that the cheese is wet but remember to keep it at 90%RH and not 100%. In other words, open the cover a little bit to let it dry. The more it dries - the more you close the cover.
Salting is a major factor in draining the cheese, creating a rind and causing the mold to bloom. How was your salting?  What PC and GC did you use? Some grow faster than others.  Was everything else okay and on target in your make?