Author Topic: Kitchen Fridge/Freezer As Cave - Freezer Temperature?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Kitchen Fridge/Freezer As Cave - Freezer Temperature?
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »
Can you tell me if these will change the temp of the freezer at all?

Jaspar

Re: Kitchen Fridge/Freezer As Cave - Freezer Temperature?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
 Yes they will make the freezer unusable as a freezer, they cycle off the power to keep the fridge warmer than normal. Its like unplugging the whole thing every once in a while to keep the temps up to whatever you set it at.

KosherBaker

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:16:33 AM »
Steff, can you elaborate on your question a bit? Are you asking whether a freezer section of a refrigerator can be used for aging the cheese, along with the refrigerator part?

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
Yes, I guess that is what I was thinking. If the freezer temps was high enough I could use the space.
I am constantly trying to increase the usable space in my tiny cheese room.

Word to all building a cheese room. go as big as possible. I have just gotten my license and already we are talking about expanding the room.

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »
Here is what I am thinking. Most likely wrong LOL
I have a fridge with a freezer that has no separate freezer temp controller. I assume that the temp on the freezer has been factory selected most likely around 10 F.
With a external control every time it cycles on the freezer will attempt to get down to the 10F mark.

But a fridge with a separate freezer control I could set it at its lowest, warmest freezer setting and then when the external controller kicked on the freezer would not need to crank down so far.

Thinking usable space to age cheese in the freezer and electricity usage.

KosherBaker

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
My cheese cave does not have a separate controller for the freezer,  and while the refrigerator part is around ~50 degrees whatever is in the freezer freezes solid. Just like in my regular fridge. Everyone else who has posted on the issue here had similar results. Now, if you freezer has a separate controller, then you can try it and see. Of course, then you'll have to battle the freezer's near 100% humidity issue. :) If you try it, go ahead and report it here so those who read the archives can benefit from the experience.

Several manufacturers make refrigerators without the freezer, in at least a couple of sizes that I have seen. I've even seen them pop up on Craigslist. In fact if I had a truck I'd be a proud owner of one. :)  They are usually termed "All Refrigerator" although I also try "No Freezer" when I search. :)

Then there's of course, the wine refrigerators. These are perfect since they run at higher temperatures, and don't even need the external temperature controller. Some have humidity control too.  They come in all sizes from tiny to closet size, and can be had new or used. Although that may depend of where you live.

Congrats on your license, and Cheese On! :)

edgewing

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:36:54 AM »
Hi Steff B,

Try searching for modification to a fridge for fermenting beer. There are a large number of DIY ways of setting up a fridge to ensure it stays at the temp that you want. The brewers need a constant temperature for their fermentation, we need a different temp for our cheeses.

One that I've found is http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/refrigerator-thermostat-44218/, has a couple of references to external thermostats and other ways.

Regards
David

edgewing

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:19:04 AM »
Hi again,

I've found this and will probably get the dual controller myself. Just a quick plugin of a heat pad (inside old fridge) and the fridge itself, temperature controller will switch the fridge on if it gets too far above your chosen temp and then put the heat pad on if it drops too far below.

http://www.mashmaster.com/p/1139100/brewmate-dual-digital-temperature-controller.html This particular link is in Australia so is good for me but you may well be able to find something similar around your own area. We get really hot here during the summer so the cooling will be useful but also the heating may work well in your own climate. The home brew shops seems to be the place for these things.

Regards

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
Thanks,
The discussion on there was very interesting. The one guy uses a chest freezer. I have an upright freezer that will eliminate the empty freezer problem.