Author Topic: Sweetened Condensed Milk  (Read 2111 times)

birdsongmilkmaid

Sweetened Condensed Milk
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
I'm looking for a recipe for sweetened condensed milk, and I'm wondering if anyone has one to share.

Naomi

Tomer1

Re: Sweetened Condensed Milk
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
I dont think theres something to it,
You just reduce it to the required consistancy under low heat and add sugar if its not sweet enough for you,
Reducing it even further will make the famouse Dulce de leche (milk jam).

birdsongmilkmaid

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:15:29 PM »
I was just wondering if there was a recipe, because in my mom's Joy of Cooking it says that a "14-ounce can contains the equivalent of 2 1/2 cups milk and 8 tablespoons sugar". Maybe I'll just try those amounts and adjust everything from there to get the taste we want.

I've never heard of Dulce de leche before, but you've piqued my curiosity.

Naomi

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
Realy?
Its terrific. Never had alfajores cookies?

"and 8 tablespoons sugar"
I think they mean lactose content in terms of calory intake.
You can condense and then add sugar,You dont have to commit to an amount from the begining of the make.

birdsongmilkmaid

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:13:33 AM »
I hate to admit it, but I actually had to Google alfajores cookies. :-[ The pictures that I saw reminded me of the Oreo cookies I ate when I was younger, but I suspect that they'd be a lot tastier, especially if I made them myself.

I think I'll go with your idea of condensing the milk first, and then I'll get my mom over to taste test it. It's been years since I've had sweetened condensed milk, and I don't remember the flavour since I was just a little girl the last time I had it. And now that I know about dulce de leche and alfajores cookies, I know what I'm going to be doing later this week...

Naomi

darius

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
Here's a recipe for a Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute. Haven't made it, so no clue how close (or good) it is...

Pour 1/2 cup of boiling water into a blender or food processor.
Add 1 cup of nonfat dry milk.
Add 2/3 cup sugar.
Add 3 tablespoons of melted butter.
Add a few drops of vanilla.
Cover and blend on high speed for 30 seconds or until smooth.
Remove from the blender or food processor.
Use in a recipe immediately or store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
http://www.thecookinginn.com/index.html