Author Topic: Cheddar - Aging Duration Recommendations (To eat or not to eat)!  (Read 1844 times)

Katbaker

:) My first ever cheese (farmhouse cheddar) will be four weeks old this weekend do I try or leave it to age a little longer? I'm so exited about trying it I don't think I can hold out much longer!!

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: Cheddar - Aging Duration Recommendations (To eat or not to eat)!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
I know the feeling.
I made many hard raw goat cheese that I opened before they were ready and I was not happy. They tasted great the day I opened it but it got bitter as time went on. I was instructed, nice way of putting it, to leave it alone till it was ready. Boy what a difference.
Wat it will be worth it.

Katbaker

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
Is four weeks not long enough to age it then?

morfeo

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
four weeks is too soon especially for a cheddar, I recommend you to leave it at least 6 months, if you cut it now its flavor will be very mild and it will be a little acid too. If you are too curious to see how the cheese will taste just cut a little peace try it and wax the rest, that way you will see that is not ready.
But I highly recommend you to leave it alone at least for 6 months, and if your are patient enough wait 1 year your patient will be rewarded.

Katbaker

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
Ok I'll try   ::)

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
When I started out with cheesemaking, I was making cheddar also.  I cut it into quarters after about a month of aging.  We ate one quarter at that point, then waxed the rest of them and tried them about every 3-4 weeks.  It was a good way for me to figure out the effects of aging.

Now that I make a lot more cheese (normally anyway) it is easier to wait it out.

I recommend making Lancashire, as it has decent flavor at 4 weeks and is meant to be eaten by around 90 days.  It is a good one to make for eating young while you are waiting for the other cheddars to age.

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »
In 4 weeks its very likly still acidic and not very enjoyable.
give it 4 months.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
Wait.

Fill the idle hours, in between, making more cheese, then you'll just be in a dither trying to decide which to eat.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Katbaker

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »
Mrskk thanks for the idea going to get me some wax keep trying it till it's aged to the point that I love it!

Thanks everyone else for your support and advice  ^-^

Tomer1

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
When you get the urge just buy some cheese. nothing wrong with that.

smilingcalico

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:15:36 AM »
I understand the struggle not to eat a cheese. 6 months as Steff suggested is a great amount of time to wait for many hard cheeses.  My patience isn't that strong unfortunately.  At the minimum, I would suggest 2 months.  There really isn't much flavor development for hard cheese under that length of time.