Author Topic: Milk, Cow, Pasterurized & Homogenized - Cons and How Make Better For Cheese Making > Goat Milk Discu  (Read 5524 times)

Louise

Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have any direct access to raw, un-pasturised and non homogenised milk.  I have tried contacting local dairies though it appears that any unused milk is already designated to cooperatives.  So my question is:

How can I rebalance or make Homogenised, Pasturised Milk Better For Cheese Making?

I understand that Calcium Chloride is used to restore balance to the calcium content of milk that has been heat treated, so this should be added.  Though from what I have read, the homogenised milk makes the fat molecules smaller, thus this essential fat may be lost in the whey in the process.  I believe that adding extra cream or buttermilk to the standard homogenised 'whole' milk may be the way to go, but I do not know how much to add to homogenised whole milk?  Any ideas, or is a formula available to work this out?

I would use Organic homogenised free, but it is very expensive.

I look forward to reading any suggestions & any advice is very welcomed.

Thanks,

Louise

linuxboy

thus this essential fat may be lost in the whey in the process
This is not the problem with homogenization. The problem with homogenization is that the outer layer that holds the fat globule together breaks apart, releasing excess lipases into the milk. Also, homogenization caused fat globules to be adsorbed to casein, weakening the curd.

I believe that adding extra cream or buttermilk to the standard homogenised 'whole' milk may be the way to go, but I do not know how much to add to homogenised whole milk?
Buttermilk is used as a starter. If you add more fat, it will change the protein-to-fat ratio, most of the time weakening your curd if you're already starting with whole milk.

Louise

Quote from linuxboy:   This is not the problem with homogenization. The problem with homogenization is that the outer layer that holds the fat globule together breaks apart, releasing excess lipases into the milk. Also, homogenization caused fat globules to be adsorbed to casein, weakening the curd

Is there any way of rectifying this problem and getting a stronger curd using homogenised milk?

linuxboy

Is there any way of rectifying this problem and getting a stronger curd using homogenised milk?
It's multiple problems. One is a flavor issue where lipases cause excess fat breakdown. Two is a texture issue because homogenization damages proteins, creating texture defects in hard cheeses. And three is a coagulation issue, again because of damaged casein. Here's what you can do

- For too much lipase, you're stuck. Some milks are homogenized more gently than others, might be a local brand that works.
- For weak curd, you can add CaCl2 to increase rate of bonding among caseins. Can also add more protein in the form of dry milk to increase gel strength (this ups your PF ratio)
- For damaged caseins, kind of stuck. Have to make cheese types that are not as sensitive to casein damage, such as blues.

Not just about curd strength.

dthelmers

Try each brand available, some are much better than others.
Dave in CT

iratherfly

Louise
I would use Organic homogenised free, but it is very expensive.
Yes, it is but it is worth it, or actually, you just don't have a choice really. Homoganization, unlike pasteurization is purely an aesthetic process to make the milk look smooth and uniform. It has zero safety benefits and in fact, it is a rather violent process that destroys the natural form of the milkfat (as Linuxboy explained above).

Using better milk always costs more but that is the key to making a successful cheese; from acidification, to curd strength to how well it ages.  Yes, it will be more expensive and you will need lots of milk.  Homogenized milk however isn't really an option (I wouldn't even try, it's a recipe for utter failure). Rest assure that the milk I buy for my cheese is far more costly than what I put in my coffee and cereal too.

Just one last point - if you spend the extra on organic milk, make sure it isn't Ultra-Pasteurized or UHT. This heat treatment will cause your curd to fail (it will not set, not acidified enough).

Here is a list of RAW MILK sources in the UK for you.  If non works out for you, perhaps you can contact some of these farmers and they would tell you who in your area has good milk: http://www.realmilk.com/where-other.html#uk

Tomer - ahhh... think about it. Butter is made out of ...cream.

Louise

Excellent info folks very clearly explained and now absobed into my brain - will deffinately be investing in some decent milk.

Thanks iratherfly for the link  ;)

iratherfly

Anytime!
What kind of cheese do you intend to make with this milk?

By the way, have you looked into goats' milk? It is never homogenized (homogenized naturally) so as long as you find one that is gently pasteurized you can go ahead and make a variety of goat's cheeses. They are fun and a great way to practice while getting some quick gratification and an almost perfect success rate...  Simple Chèvre can be made in 24 hours with little work, Aged Chèvre such as Crottin, Sainte Maure, Valençay or Cabécou can be made in as little as 2 weeks aging. They are really difficult to screw up and make great casual table cheese.

OlJarhead

Good post -- funny thing is I've made a cheddar type cheese three times with 'homogenized' milk.  I expect that some of the issues I have are related to this (trouble getting it to age well, getting good curds etc) but all in all I can make a cheese which is edible and tastes pretty good.

I've been thinking about switching to 2% but I'm not 100% certain it isn't homogenized too _  I've also wondered if adding heavy cream wouldn't be better as my cheeses don't melt very well so I think they need more fat.

Anyway, I figure it's ok to make cheese with Homo milk to learn but plan to switch to better milk now.

iratherfly

Overall, your home-made Cheddar should taste better than store-bought, so using the terms "pretty good" and "edible" to describe it tells me that you are only touching the potential to make great cheese if you use good milk. Quality of milk really amplifies when cheese ages and uncovers characteristics that you won't be able to taste in a glass of fresh milk, and that's the point of starting out with the best possible milk you can get.

With Cheddar, there is a lot that goes on with the texture of the cheese as there is the knotting and re-knotting of the curd, so good curd is essential. Your maltability problem may be related to that, however it is more likely to be related to wrong pH level. You are probably acidifying the milk for too long before adding the rennet.  Is the texture elastic? or is it brittle/flaky?

I think you are okay with making a skimmer Cheddar. It will work but may be less sharp because there is less fat for lipolysis during aging.

What do you mean you are not sure if your milk is homogenized or not? Is it not labeled by the manufacturer?  A tell-tell sign is that if the milk is cold all the fat rises to the top and will rest in chinks near your bottle opening. (that's why it is often also called "creamline" or "cream top" milk).  If your milk is smooth and solid color with no chunks of fat in it (when it is cold), than it has surely been homogenized.  I often get so much fat blocking the bottle that I need to put it under hot water for a minute or risk having chinks of fat flying out to the vat and spritzing everywhere upon their landing in  puddle of milk... you can't miss that.

OlJarhead

Thanks for the reply -- let me explain and answer.

Overall, your home-made Cheddar should taste better than store-bought, so using the terms "pretty good" and "edible" to describe it tells me that you are only touching the potential to make great cheese if you use good milk. Quality of milk really amplifies when cheese ages and uncovers characteristics that you won't be able to taste in a glass of fresh milk, and that's the point of starting out with the best possible milk you can get.
I find my 'cheddar' (which isn't cooked long enough to be truly called 'cheddar' I think) tastes pretty much like store bought mild cheddar unless it is aged longer then 2-3 months.  Then it does get sharper.

With Cheddar, there is a lot that goes on with the texture of the cheese as there is the knotting and re-knotting of the curd, so good curd is essential. Your maltability problem may be related to that, however it is more likely to be related to wrong pH level. You are probably acidifying the milk for too long before adding the rennet.  Is the texture elastic? or is it brittle/flaky?
Before the cheese ages for 3+ months it tends to be somewhat brittle except in the center where it tends to be a a little creamy, almost like cream cheese.  Once it's aged 4-5 months it tends to be on the brittle side as if it were aged a year or three.  I keep it in a cave, in wax, at 48 degrees with a bowl of water to keep humidity up (I live in a desert so generally don't have high humidity in the house (around 30-35%) and the cave runs about 50%.

The cheese crumbles when you cut it with the exception of the center of the round as mentioned earlier.

I think you are okay with making a skimmer Cheddar. It will work but may be less sharp because there is less fat for lipolysis during aging.

What do you mean you are not sure if your milk is homogenized or not? Is it not labeled by the manufacturer?  A tell-tell sign is that if the milk is cold all the fat rises to the top and will rest in chinks near your bottle opening. (that's why it is often also called "creamline" or "cream top" milk).  If your milk is smooth and solid color with no chunks of fat in it (when it is cold), than it has surely been homogenized.  I often get so much fat blocking the bottle that I need to put it under hot water for a minute or risk having chinks of fat flying out to the vat and spritzing everywhere upon their landing in  puddle of milk... you can't miss that.

We have 2% pasteurized milk and 3.5% homogenized milk in the store but I think the 2%, while it does not say homogenized, is actually.  The fat doesn't rise to the top or separate.

Thanks for the reply by the way, I appreciate all the feed back -- and sorry for highjacking the thread!

iratherfly

No problem Oldjarhead

I think you can/should greatly improve the affinage of your cheddar. It needs 55F rather than 48F, this is important for growing the rind bacteria which gives it much of its character and protects it from drying out. Moreover 50% humidity is not nearly enough to do the aging work by turning on processes like lipolysis and proteolysis who are responsible for the texture creation in cheddar (as well as flavor).

During the winter, my apartment gets heated up and humidity goes down to about 22% here so I know what you are going through. There is a very simple solution:  Age the cheese in an aging container. The container is to be placed in your cave and would be partially or entirely covered so that you get your proper 85% relative humidity in it.  You will find a night and day difference in your cheddar. It will be rich, smooth and far more moist. Sharp tones will be noticeable when consuming and the curd will knot into an elastic smooth texture. Try it.

Also, if humidity control is difficult or impossible and you are willing to forgo the rind altogether (and with it, much of the cheese character), then you can just vacuum or wax it for the aging.  You never have to worry about it and it's less work.

Louise

Goats milk now thats idea, though only problem is, is that I have tried goats cheese in the past (store bought) but I wasn't that keen on the taste.

Does anyone use or tried dried cows/goat or sheep milk?

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
I can almost guarantee that your home made goat cheese will taste great. I have tasted store bought and it is the nastiest tasting cheese.
And the store bought dried goat milk is even worse.

iratherfly

I agree. Assuming that your cheese will taste like the unfavorable cheese that you've tried it a little like going to a really bad art exhibit and determining that you are no longer into paintings.  Goat's milk is versatile and can produce a variety of textures, aromas and flavors, from the goaty and smelly to the creamy and milk. There is no connection between a fresh goats' cheese, a goat''s Gouda, a goat's Tomme, goat's Garrotxa, goat's Feta and Crottin.  then, there are also cheeses with a mixed goats/cow/sheep milk such as Valdeon or Robiola. You do need however to visit some reputable cheese merchants first and have a good taste of the variety so that you can see what entices you.  If you have any love for cheese at all, I find it impossible to believe you won't be able to find a goats cheese that you really love.