Author Topic: Helen's Munster  (Read 2122 times)

Helen

Helen's Munster
« on: May 26, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »
A month or so ago, I made a Munster. I used the recipe from 200 Cheeses and used half raw milk, half cream-line milk (still nursing the wallet, btw). I inoculated the milk with the b.linens, which was a first for me (I usually add it to the brine). I don't know if it was the milk inoculation or the raw milk but those babies were ready (meaning quite gooey) in a month. And they taste delicious. I can definitely feel the difference the raw milk made.

JeffHamm

Re: Helen's Munster
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:11:32 AM »
Now doesn't that look tasty!  Yum!

- Jeff

Bishop

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »
That 2nd pic is a real cheese tease :P

Looks great - is this your first Munster?

Helen

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:46:16 PM »
Jeff, Bishop -

Thank you for your kind words. It is indeed my first Munster. I am very happy about the outcome.

arkc

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »
Hi there,

I started some on April 13 using GasBlender's "8 week old Munster" recipe here on the forum.  But my darlings certainly don't have the thick rind that his and yours have. Maybe I will have a good talk with them..They should be ready in a couple of weeks. They are about the same color as yours, hope they're as creamy and luscious as yours and GasBlender's.

annie

Helen

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
Actually, the rind is not the same on all my cheeses. I have one that has a very thick rind and this one has a rind that is very thin, which I prefer :)

george

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
Helen, what size mold did you use on that Munster?  It looks teensy, but that's probably just perspective, right?

Yup, thanks, I've got Munster envy again now.  To add to my reblochon envy.  I think some b. linens and I need to get reacquainted ...

Helen

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »
Hi MaryJ,

This one is actually quite small, since it was for my left over curds (raw milk makes for a big yield :) ). I used a "fake" 500g Kadova mold.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 02:18:47 AM »
Very nice! Took me years to figure out there is more than one type of munster and they are totally different.