Author Topic: Sudden urge to change the ageing method of the cheese  (Read 1444 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Sudden urge to change the ageing method of the cheese
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
Have you ever started with the intent to make one type of cheese, and then during the aging portion you thought hmm, what would happen if I do this or what would happen if I do that? 
I am just curious as I have a Havarti in the cave that is actually aging nicely, well at least from the looks of it, but I have an overwhelming desire to do a washed rind with it.  This has happened to me with a Gouda I did with Goat Milk, I washed the rind with sage, salt and olive oil, and it turned out great. 

Does anyone else ever get these inclinations or do you tend to stay on mission so to speak?  I guess I am wondering if my wife is right and I am just a little crazy.

Tomer1

Re: Sudden urge to change the ageing method of the cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
An official cheese name suggests a specific make and aging protocol,
The moment you change it your doing a variente.
This is not "CRAZY!!!" ,just different.
With some delicate cheeses it will completly alter the charecter and with some it will just add additional notes.

george

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »
I guess I am wondering if my wife is right and I am just a little crazy.

You say that like it's a BAD thing.

Hey, I'm still aging my b. linens cheddar.  Didn't get that way on purpose, mind you, but I'm sure it'll be all sorts of interesting.   ;)

Go for it.  Life's no fun without a proper sprinkling of crazy.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »

Go for it.  Life's no fun without a proper sprinkling of crazy.

Thanks I have done something with my Not Havarti, as I am calling for now.  It looks good and now I think I might have to make some more.

How has your Linens Cheddar going?

george

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
How has your Linens Cheddar going?

Dunno, it's still in the cave.  It likes to leak into the vacuum bag.  I was going to let it go to 6 months (it's 5 months now), but now that you've reminded me about it and piqued my curiousity ...  ;)