Author Topic: Liquid Coated Rind - Thick Rind  (Read 2566 times)

ukdavid

Liquid Coated Rind - Thick Rind
« on: November 25, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »
Cut into our first home made cheddar today and it surpassed all our expectations. ;D The one thing I did notice was that the rind was quite thick. I had painted on 3 coats of liquid wax on and aged it for almost 2 months (Ricki Carroll's recipe for traditional cheddar P108). Would it have been better to use non liquid wax (the stuff you melt)? I also recon it would probably be best to make at least 2 Lb wheels rather than the 1 Lb ones that I am making at the moment. Any advice would be welcome.

bbracken677

Re: Liquid Coated Rind - Thick Rind
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
I have never used a wax coating of any kind, so I really can't answer your question. I do have one of my own...when you say you used liquid wax, what do you mean? I thought all the wax coatings had to be melted..??  Perhaps this is the "cream coating" I have read about others using?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
I think the bigger cheese will hold more moisture, won't dry out so fast.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
I think the bigger cheese will hold more moisture, won't dry out so fast.

Yeah...I had to adjust my drying times due to our low humidity here...my first caerphilly and first couple of cheddars lost way too much moisture. Now I let air dry at most 24 hours and then into a container and into the cave. I currently have a colby, gouda and a few cheddars in the cave that have that little "give" when I press a finger on the rind...tells me I have moisture still inside as opposed to the rock hard earlier attempts. These are all approximately 2 pound cheeses.

ukdavid

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
the cheese coating liquid is this

http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Cheese_Coatings_and_Colour.html

scroll to the Bottom of the page.
 Having re read it, it tells me that the cheese can still breathe. perhaps thats the reason for the thicker rind, also I will be making 2 or 4 pound wheels from now on, the more I think about it the more sense it makes.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
Thats whta I would agree with as well, when you make aged cheeses its probably best to make a bigger batch, because as the rind (and cheese ages) it grows and thickens on small cheeses the makes a bigger difference then it will on a bigger cheese, plus the bigger cheese has more moisture as it has more volume to begin with!

Best of luck ion the future! :D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »
I used the same recipe to make a 2 pound wheel and hot waxed it.  I'll let you know how it comes out when it's done aging. LOL  I've since gone to 3 or 4 pound wheels on any cheese that I have to age for a long period.  Too long for me to wait for 1 pound of cheese.  Especially if this stuff comes out great! LOL  WOW David, they're not giving anything away in the UK, are they? LOL  BTW I spent 9 years in England.  Wife is from London.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:17:32 AM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

ukdavid

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Hi Lewis

I am by birth a Yorkshire man from Kieghley in the middle of the moors. But lived in London for years. Yes it would be good if you could let me know how you get on with the larger one.
Say hello to your cockney lass  :D. London is not the same as it was. lost a lot of its "Cockney Pride" IMHO.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
Well she was born within the sound of the bells so she is a true cockney.  :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

ukdavid

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
Bow bells. A true cockney. :)