Author Topic: Yogurt, Goat Milk - Avoiding Runny Texture  (Read 11096 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Yogurt, Goat Milk - Avoiding Runny Texture
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:03:24 AM »
Does anyone else encounter a considerably less than solid texture when using goat milk to make yogurt.  I seem to remain in the "runny" state, unless of course I strain afterwards.  And I have no interest in additives nor stabillizers to resolve this issue.  Usually my cultures are from previous yogurt batches made with cow milk that are textured just right.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

birdsongmilkmaid

Re: Yogurt, Goat Milk - Avoiding Runny Texture
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 06:33:28 PM »
I've never been able to get a thick and creamy goat yogurt, even though I make a wonderful cow yogurt all the time. I've heard that the runny yogurt is caused by the different composition of goat's milk. I've also heard that adding a drop or two of rennet when adding the yogurt culture will nicely thicken the goat's milk yogurt, but I've never tried it myself. Since you're not interested in adding anything resolve the issue I'm afraid that I'm not a lot of help, other than to say that you are not the only one who has that problem.

Naomi

KosherBaker

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:14:18 AM »
For whatever this might be worth. Linuxboy has mentioned that the following bacteria specialize in adding thickness/viscosity:
1. Streptococcus thermophilus
2. lactococcus lactis
3. leuconostoc mesenteroides

So maybe you guys can play with the percentages of those to see if you can arrive at the desired texture and flavor. Incidentally, what are you procedures for the yogurt make?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:36:26 AM »
you have to blend strains of acidophilus and S salivarius thermophilus for yogurt if you want to have different flavor and texture.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
My customers love the thick goat milk yogurt I have.

The way I make it is to heat it up to 180 and hold it there for 20 mins, I am certain Linuxboy can explain the details.
I then cool down to 115 and add the culture, I have used the last batch, store bought plain or culture from dairyconnections. All with similar results.
Keep it at 115 for 6-8 hour then refrigerate overnight. Do not jostle during the incubation period.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
Thank you all for the info.  Steffb, I was wondering if you use any particular store bought that is better than others as far as a good culture base.  Also, does dairy Connection offer more than one yogurt culture.
Thanks

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
As for the store bought I use Stonyfeild farm only because that is the one I like to eat. There is a kosher one that they sell here in summer only but I do not know the name. I can let you know in a few weeks.

I tried to go to Dairyconnections to find the one I use but they are not responding. I will have to look at my jar when I go out.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
Thanks, I will try stonyfield this morning, as well as the 180 temp escalation prior to incubating at 115.  If anyone can advise as to the science behind the high temp exposure prior to incubation, I would appreciate it.  In the past, I would pasteurize to 161 and hold for 15 seconds prior to cooling, and then bring to 115 for yogurt. 
thanks

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »
Thanks linuxboy, that was precisely the info I was looking for,  I needed the scientific explanation for the pieces to register.  On another note, I just noticed on the label of stonyfield yogurt that they began adding pectin, so much for all natural.
thank you all for the great info on the thread.

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »
Pectin is from plants fruit I think. It is natural and I am sure some is organic.

birdsongmilkmaid

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 11:44:21 PM »
I'm happy to hear that there are more options for thick yogurt than just adding a drop or two of rennet. I'm hoping to have enough goats milking next year to be able to make goats' milk yogurt, and hopefully I'll be able to make a nice, thick yogurt thanks to all of these great suggestions.

Naomi

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 02:52:02 AM »
Since we are on the topic, what is the ideal temperature and duration to incubate yogurt for optimal thicknes, and short of raising acidity?  thanks

birdsongmilkmaid

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 03:15:03 AM »
I heat my cow milk to 180 degrees, cool it to between 110 and 120 degrees, then pop it into an oven that has been prewarmed to 200 degrees. I turn the oven off and leave the pot in overnight (about 8 to 10 hours or so). For my family this is the perfect yogurt, although not very high-tech.

Naomi

Gustav

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 06:38:28 PM »
I don't know about goat yogurt, but with my cow yogurt I heat the milk to 187-190'C & keep it there for 30 min, then cool it off to 40'C , Add the cultures & place it in my incubator at 42'C for 7 Hours. ( More than 7 hours it starts to get tangy for my personal taste) & I place it in the fridge for 8-10 Hours, mix in what flavour/pulp I want & refrigerate it again for 8-10 Hours before consuming/selling. The end result is a THICK CREAMY yoghurt!!!