Author Topic: John's Cheese #029 - American Neufchâtel #5  (Read 2913 times)

Cheese Head

John's Cheese #029 - American Neufchâtel #5
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:20 PM »
Neufchâtel based on the recipe posted here. My first Neufchâtel's records posted here, second batch's (where I tried to unsuccessfully to accelerate the process) records posted here, third batch's records posted here and fourth batch here.

RECORDS
  • Jan 9, 2009 5:20PM: Poured 1 US gallon/3.8 liters of "fresh" store bought pasteurized homogenized whole cow's milk & 3/4 US quart/0.7 liters of previously frozen "Half & Half" Ultra-Pasteurized (ie dead) Homogenized Cream into heavy bottomed stockpot on smallest ring of stove. As milk pasteurized, to standardize, trickled and whisked in 1/2 teaspoon diluted CaCl2. Weighed ~0.25 grams of Danisco's Choozit Brand Mesophilic Starter Culture MM100 onto mini digital scale, tapped off onto top of milk, whisked in. Warmed with ring to ~21 °C/70 °F room temp, covered and set aside.
  • Jan 9, 2009 7:20PM: Poured ~0.125 grams CHR Hansen Powdered Rennet onto mini digital scale, tapped off into 1/4 cup water, stirred to dilute, trickled onto milk while whisking in thoroughly. Covered and set aside for curd to set and culture to ripen overnight.
  • Jan 10, 2009 7:10AM: Ladled curds into draining bag from DairyConnection.com and hung from camera tripod above same stockpot. Curds were firmer on top and waterier below.
  • Jan 10, 2009 9:00AM: Scraped de-wheyed curds off side of bag with spatula to allow moister curds to drain faster.
  • Jan 10, 2009 1:00PM: Scraped de-wheyed curds off side of bag with spatula to allow moister curds to drain faster.
  • Jan 10, 2009 7:00PM: Turned bag inside out into container, cut 1/4 of Neufchatel into smaller container and stirred in diced sundried tomatoes, placed both containers in fridge to mature.

NOTES
  • Do not freeze store bought Ultra Pasteurized Homogenized "Half & Half" cow's milk/cream, was lumpy/bit separated after defrosting!
  • Curds were watery below surface, does rennet effect wear out overnight?
  • Use 50% more rennet next time.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:21:24 AM by Cheese Head »

Cheese Head

Re: John's Cheese #029 - American Neufchâtel #5
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:37:09 PM »
I want to make some flavoured Neufchatel, and we have some Sundried Tomatoes strips.

Should I cut these up or blender ot fine cut or re-hyrdate a little before mixing into my light Neufchatel cream cheese?

Tea

Re: John's Cheese #029 - American Neufchâtel #5
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:46:47 PM »
Hi CH, cream never thaws out without having lumps.  Not sure what happened with the rennet, maybe the freezing of the milk had some effect there.

With the sundried tomatoes, I would just cut them fine and add to the cheese.