Author Topic: Falafel Making  (Read 5300 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Falafel Making
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »
Ah Garbanzo Beans! I have those! No good Italian girl would be without her Garbanzo Beans! It that the same thing as chick peas?

I buy dried beans here: Great stuff and their fruits are so good you don't know they are dried!
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/beans-garbonzo25lb.aspx

gmac

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 12:25:14 AM »
It's implied above but I'll come right out and say it.
Garbonzo beans and chick peas are the same thing.  You may be walking right past them.  I can't believe there is a grocery store in the world that doesn't carry dried chick peas (aka Garbonzo beans...)

I use them for batting practice for the kids ball team I coach.  Really trains their eye to hit a chick pea with a broom handle.  Once they've got that mastered, a baseball is nothing...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 03:32:21 AM »
I did not know they were the same thing. Never bought chick peas but I use garbonza beans in a lot of foods. Confusing one is called BEANS and one is called PEAS. I would have expected them to be a different animal.

smilingcalico

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »
John, I happen to love the dried stuff. I like to actually hydrate it to slightly thinner than you think will work, put a little oil in a frying pan, then cook it up like a pancake (minus waiting for bubbles, just go with doneness).  It's fantastic with pepper flavor Boursin and spinach wrapped up or made like a sandwich using the pita.  Add any other veggies you like.  It's convenient, and the dried stuff still does have great spicing.

gmac

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »
I did not know they were the same thing. Never bought chick peas but I use garbonza beans in a lot of foods. Confusing one is called BEANS and one is called PEAS. I would have expected them to be a different animal.

Well, peas and beans are both lentils...  Hard to figure out a lot of the names.  I think it may be due to how they packaged.  I usually see garbonzo beans canned and soft, chick peas could be what they call the dried form.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »
I have only seen garbonzo beans dried here but I don't generally go into the canned food isles except tomatoes so they may be in there. I am not much of a shopper more of a grab and run type.  ;)

Tomer1

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
As opposed to canned beans which is taste fairly close to the traditional baked beans, canned chickpeas are aweful and should be avoided and im suprise they make them since I'm almost possitive they dont sell  :)