Author Topic: Help with clabber!!  (Read 6745 times)

Homestead

Re: Help with clabber!!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
Thank you both...Yeah Karen, that's what I meant.  I don't want to take short cuts "obviously" but with calving and keeping up with the farm jobs I just want a little push with the clabber and didn't know if I could use my "cheating" version of raw milk clabber.  It's hard where I'm at because the weather is so changeable and it can be cold one second and warm the next.  My Grandmother in-law lives right down the road and has made cheese for about 75 years using the clabber method that you talk about Karen.  She of course can't remember it being so difficult ::)  Maybe it was her cows...who knows.  However, the clabber I made with the bought buttermilk and the raw milk tastes really good.  Not the same as the mother culture I used to make with the pasteurized milk but like LinuxBoy said it is a hybrid and definitely taste like it.  I will try to make some cheese with it and see how it comes out.  Thank you all.  It's nice to have so many different takes on everything...really informative!

MrsKK

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 12:26:52 AM »
Just use some of the clabber that you have now to start your next batch...and continue to do that.  Eventually, it will taste differently than it does now and it will be mostly your "own" blend of organisms.

Annie

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 04:20:57 AM »
Thank you for the help....I feel some hope  ::).  I had two people smell it and it made them think of sourdough bread.  But to me it smelled like horse dung...sorry but it really did.  That helps to know about the bubbles, I was very concerned about the saftey of it.  I was really worried that I had it at to high of a temp.  Because my house was so cold there for a day or two I put it on my stove while the oven was warm...wondering now if that got it to hot.  Then when nothing happened after a couple of days I moved it onto a shelf in the sun.....maybe I should have been patient and put it on the counter for longer at a cooler temp?
I think you may have had the same problem I had, that the yeast in your milk (who knew?) grew more than the other stuff. I have had this happen to me with my milk before (thought it was because it was too near the grapes), and then it happened with some cheese I made :( Yeast would explain the bubbles and the smell.