Author Topic: temp control on freezer unit of mini frig  (Read 2510 times)

Chris_Abrahamson

temp control on freezer unit of mini frig
« on: June 02, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
Hello all

I recently upgraded my "cave" from a small dorm to mini frig with a separate freezer compartment ( Magic Chef MCBR415S).  My Johnson Controls regulator is keeping the frig compartment right at the temp I want but freezer compartment is still running at 32-34 F.

Does anyone have any idea's on how to hack the thermostat that controls the freezer?  I have come up empty trying to find a wiring diagram / schematic online?  But I know that there are many creative and ingenious people on this site.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: temp control on freezer unit of mini frig
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:08:45 AM »
From what my heating and A/C guy tells me, No.
It is the freezer that is keeping your fridge cold regardless of the temp you set it at. The fridge simply steals cold from the fridge.

That is why I am looking into a freezerless refrigerator. It uses a different type of refrigerant.

Chris_Abrahamson

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:40:20 PM »
Are there any particular models you are looking at?
thanks

Gustav

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
I'm using a small 130 litre box freezer that's on a timer switch to control the temp. I have  2 fishtank pumps pumping fresh air into the freezer through 2 pipes t& thus the top is open a lil but for air to escape. I want to add a small cpu fan to circulate the air, but need a 2nd hand power supply to do so as it blows up if it gets plugged in directly. lol

kkey

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:00:54 AM »
You might try opening up the thermostat and looking for a calibration screw. I just posted a thread on doing this with a Sanyo mini fridge, which saved me from having to get an external controller.

Louise

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
Another thing to try is using some 1/4 inch thick polystyrene and placing around the freezer compartment which should trick the thermostat in thinking its cooler than it actually is.  This method has worked on my new fridge, though it may need a bit of tweaking.  Mine is now holding between 53 - 55.5 c, though I am have a humidity issue that I am trying to resolve  :-\