Author Topic: Hi from SE Queensland  (Read 3380 times)

Captain Caprine

Re: Hi from SE Queensland
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
Welcome Bella,
Why is it that you are only getting milk from two teats?  Being a goat guy thats all I ever get :D.  Has she had mastitis problems in the past?
Must be nice to get all your cheese by milking only one animal!
Captain Caprine

Bella

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »
Hi Cap'n thanks for the welcome
Yes, she has had a history of mastitis, and while the previous owners were very coy about giving me full details, one quarter (back left) is totally atrophied and the other which currently has an occasional sign of mastitis, but only produces about 100-200ml of milk per milking. But I am still getting 7-8 litres from the two functioning quarters, so that is fine. I have been treating the infected one with an aloe vera mixture, and haven't seen the signs (I call them the gloopy bits) of the infection for about a week now. That doesn't mean that it is gone, I suspect, but I think that she is not having so much pain, so that is good.  She came very cheap (half the cost of my other cow at $300, so I reckon I'm ahead)

My other cow, Lady is about to calve (probably next week or two), and I will have milk coming out my ears after that event. And yes, it is so good having my own milk supply - it means plenty of opportunity for cheese experimentation without exhorbitant costs, and also keeps me in butter, yoghurt and ricotta, not to mention all the other cheeses that hopefully will ripen satisfactorily!

Captain Caprine

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 04:29:44 AM »
Hi Bella,
Glad to hear the aloe vera is helping.  I usually use Bag Balm in those situations.  Make sure to send pics of the new addition when Lady calves.
CC