Author Topic: Montreal Cheese Supplies  (Read 8944 times)

aram

Montreal Cheese Supplies
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
I figured I'd start a topic here to help future Montreal cheese makers find some of the ingredients needed to make cheese.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any stores that specialize in selling cheese making supplies in Montreal. I toured the city for a good two weeks before I could find someone who knew what rennet was!

Anyway, I was able to find some ingredients at
La Baia dei Fromaggi. Last time I checked they had rennet (15$ for a small bottle), Abiasa Mesophilic II, Meso Aromatic Type B, & Thermophilic B. That should be enough to get you started. Also, they have an awesome collection of cheeses (more than 300 according to their website).

For Calcium Chloride you can go to a home-brew store. There's one on St. Dominique, just one block east of St Laurent called La Chope à Barrock & and one further out in Baie D'Urfe called La Cachette du Bootlegger.

Hope this is helpful! Also, if anyone knows of any other good places for supplies around Montreal, please let us know!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:00:44 PM by aram »

dttorun

Re: Montreal Cheese Supplies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »
You can visit Glengarry cheese at Lankaster, on which is one hr driving range to Montreal. They have some award winning cheeses at their reatail store. Or you can order online...
Tan

Spoons

Re: Montreal Cheese Supplies
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:38:12 AM »
I`m replying 2 years later... lol

So for reference: http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/ is located about an hour and a half from Montreal. They carry everything a cheese maker needs. Place your order in advance if you want to drive there. They don`t have a show room or anything.