Author Topic: Montrealer cheese lover  (Read 1102 times)

aram

Montrealer cheese lover
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
Hey everyone!

I recently got into cheese making and haven't really done anything beyond mozzarella and fresh cheese yet, mostly cause I was having a hard time finding the ingredients and didn't want to order online and pay ridiculous shipping charges. When I finally did find some of the supplies needed I went and built myself a cheese press. This is all to say that I really don't have much experience but I'm eager to learn to make cheese and looking forward to making my first hard cheese!

The one brand of milk (forgot the name) I've used to make cheese with seemed good enough for mozzarella so I'm hoping it'll be good for other cheeses as well.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum as I'm sure I'll come back to it time and again looking for help! And thanks in advance to all those who will (and some who already have) share their knowledge and experience!

zenith1

Re: Montrealer cheese lover
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:00:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum Aram. I just love that city and visit it when I am up north visiting my brother-he lives in Chambley. Watch out for milks that are Ultra Pasteurized will give you grief every time. Start slow and perfect your process for one type of cheese before jumping to another. They are all different in the make and it is best to learn what to expect of the curds in order of texture and appearance. i know that is a difficult thought to follow-WHAT, ONLY ONE TYPE OF CHEESE IS HE CRAZY, but you will see what I mean as you gain experience.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »
Hello aram in Montreal, hope you will have many happy hours reading and participating in the forum and website, welcome!

aram

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:18:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum Aram. I just love that city and visit it when I am up north visiting my brother-he lives in Chambley. Watch out for milks that are Ultra Pasteurized will give you grief every time. Start slow and perfect your process for one type of cheese before jumping to another. They are all different in the make and it is best to learn what to expect of the curds in order of texture and appearance. i know that is a difficult thought to follow-WHAT, ONLY ONE TYPE OF CHEESE IS HE CRAZY, but you will see what I mean as you gain experience.

Chambly: the birthplace of Unibroue!

Thanks Keith! You're absolutely right, I need to perfect one cheese before I jump on to the second but sometime anxiety gets the best of me and I have even been considering making Limburger haha but then I realize I don't have a proper aging setup so I quickly abandon the idea.

My mozzarella (30 min method) turned out ok (at least in terms of consistency) however taste wasn't all that special but then again I don't think mozzarella is very flavorful to begin with.

The milk I used was Beatrice (subsidiary of Parmalat) and if it turned out ok, does this mean that I can use it for other cheeses as well?

Do you live in the region?

aram

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:18:35 AM »
Hello aram in Montreal, hope you will have many happy hours reading and participating in the forum and website, welcome!

Thanks John! I hope so too!

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
Aram- we all go through it, we want to try making all the great cheeses w love to eat. I live in NY-in the Hudson Valley.