Author Topic: Tomme Grise chronicles  (Read 4252 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Tomme Grise chronicles
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
Been pretty busy - Beauforts, reblochons and a new line of makes I'm interested in working on, tomme grise; shooting for a velvety, even (not mottled), "death pallor" grey rind. 

Pav's guidance, a great help, as usual.  This is a mucor make, so this is a mucor cave.  I washed the cave with whey and rind puree from Herve Mons's tomme de bois noir, as well as an AOC tomme de savoie that has the quality I'd like to see.  In addition, each of these makes gets some puree in the make, and each has been washed - 2 days only - then left alone, fully, for an intended 2-3 weeks.  French Cheeses describes a cycle of 7-8 days mucor fur, brushed back; 20 days or so of beginning to firm up, shorten, and turn grayer, 4 weeks of gray rind development. 

This stuff is screaming, so I'm going to try to learn some affinage chops on this one by balancing my desire for a highly aromatic rind and paste, with it being "a point," just so - this stuff could easily get away from me.  Finding it a really enjoyable experience.

Tomme grise 1, several days in:

Yesterday:

Newest tomme - and very pleased to report the kadova is conditioned and performing brilliantly: 

Pav's technique really helpful here, as well - I press the ^&%$ out the wheel by hand, kneading the follower into the wheel with a lot of force, right away; flipping constantly at first, then every few minutes, until knit (performed under whey at 110F or so, as well).  Then, a very light weight. 

The first grise got only a main press of 2 1/2 lbs over a 7" wheel; this, 5 lbs.  I'm shooting for a very rustic paste, lots of holes, and more moisture than my previous tommes.  All with a closed rind.  Pav's technique works brilliantly.
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Tomme Grise chronicles
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »
Ahhh, the harvest moon....

Hey, that's a current date!!  :D

Sounds like you have quite an experiment in progress. Very curious to hear (or see) what you come up with.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Ahhh, the harvest moon....

Hey, that's a current date!!  :D

Sounds like you have quite an experiment in progress. Very curious to hear (or see) what you come up with.

-Boofer-

hahah, believe it or not, you were on my mind as I saw the date, Boof...true story. 

Looking forward to this process - first one where I'm truly stepping back and allowing things to take off, before intervening.  I'm learning to put in guideposts for nature, not fences.
- Paul

Oude Kaas

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:20:23 AM »
Hey Paul, I thought this might interest you. I made these cheeses on June 28 using a simple tomme recipe and put it to age in our basement under our house in upstate NY. The basement is made of nat=ural stone and very rough. It is damp (95+%RH) and rather warm, average of 58 F. I just put it there, knowing the micro flora is very diverse and I have had good luck aging cheeses there. Some of my best wild rind cheeses were aged here.

Sorry, can't figure out how to put the picture in the post, seem to remember I did it before but don't know how.

http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=3546550887230943998

Oude Kaas

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 03:24:33 AM »
Oh, there it is. While I am at a roll, let me add a detail or 2.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
Jos, I really love your work.  Thanks for the detailed pics - beautiful.  I've been a bit under the weather lately, so haven't been up to much but a maintenance regime on my children, but here's a pic of the wheels, now - one's coming up on 2 months, the others spaced behind each by a couple of weeks:

Won't be around much for awhile, just wanted to say thanks for the pics and thoughts, Jos, and congrats on what you're up to.  I've always enjoyed seeing what you create. :)
- Paul

Oude Kaas

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
Paul, Hope it is nothing serious and you feel better soon. I'll miss your input.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »
Hey, those look great, Paul!

Feel better. I need a sparring partner.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
Thanks, Jos and Boof.  One step at a time, got my fam and countless other good gifts. 

I'm looking forward to getting back on the horse - and Boof, if'n it's a few rounds you want, I'll do my level best. ;D

See you soon.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:37:49 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul