Author Topic: Curd Cutters - Wire Mesh > Fishing Wire > Cheese & Fish (Way off topic)  (Read 13495 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Here is the wire I got for the new knives. I don't think I'll use it the wire itself is too big and I don't think the cube of curd will slide through easily. I think I'll just have to buy $75 worth of the correct stuff.

chilipepper

Re: Curd Cutters - Wire Mesh > Fishing Wire > Cheese & Fish (Way off topic)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
That does look big, in the picture anyway.  Does it look like you could remove one direction of wire as mentioned earlier?  I'm not sure how that would work or if it would make it better or usable for that matter.  Keep us posted on your progress!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:44:36 PM »
The whole point is to have it cut a long cube. If I remove wires then I have what I can already build. I think no matter how small it's just going to be hard to force the curds through. When I made my 15 gal batch this weekend I used my old professional looking curd knife and that even pushed the curds around. I had to do quick torquey motions to get it to go through and that wires is real small. I'm going to build a better professional one as I had a process down now.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:45:57 AM »
I do not have a picture with me of the curd harp that I made from a barbecue rack overlay (used for fish and certain veggies) where I cut out the vertical wires.  I will take a picture and post it when I get home from work. However the wires look a lot smaller than the ones in the picture you posted.

I first thought I could cut cubes by using the entire mesh, but it did not work, just smashed the curds if I tried to puch it hard.  By using to just cut the horizontal disks of curd (only horizontal wires, I have had great suggest.  I have also cut out every other horizontal wire and cut the disks into ~1 inch thick layers.  If I need smaller disks I pull the harp up about 1/2 inch and cut the disks again.  This seems to work like a charm.  The mesh came from a barbecue supply place here in singapore and a 50cm x 50cm piece costs about $10.  Food grade stainless as well.

Gerrit

Sing_cheese

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:32:32 AM »
Here is the picture of my current poor man's curd harp (for horizontal cuts).  It is well used and simple (I remember trying to make the diagonal cuts as recomended in the books...what a disaster that was!).

Gerrit

wharris

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »
My Curd Knife.
(Some assembly still required)

Well actually, I only have the wire at the moment.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:15 PM »
Dam GOOD CALL Wayne. I had a feeling the welding wire I was using was too brittle, now that I know how to string it for the type i'm making it's not a problem. But this is perfect Wayne I'm sure the best part is it's somewhat flexible. Wayne, what did it cost? Does it say how thick the wire is, do you have a set calipers?

wharris

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:39:54 PM »
I order the wire from Amazon.com.  Here it is:
I am unsure of the actual thickness,  but I would guess it is roughly 24guage.

This is fishing leader wire.  should be strong enough for curds.

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
Cheese and wine . . . cheese and beer . . . cheese and apples . . . cheese and bread . . . cheese and burgers . . . cheese and fish :o, yuk :P!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:19:37 AM »
OK John a little opinionated.. : ;D

wharris

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 01:20:05 AM »

Hey John,  do I see a bit - o- cheese peaking out?

Likesspace

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 01:23:50 AM »
Yeah Wayne, that is cheese under the fish, but look.....someone threw up on top of the fish when they thought of eating the two together.  ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:46:14 AM »
Uhhh guys I hate to tell you this but i don't think that's real fish  ;D. Actually it's pollack, no not made from jackson pollock, but the fish. I saw a whole special on the ship they use to get all of McDonald's fish, the whole ship is a factory 150 workers below deck in the manufactuering facility. They do this at sea. The fish comes in and goes out in the exact blocks of frozen that mcdonald's specifies. Pretty amazing.

Cheese Head

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 03:51:44 AM »
Hey John,  do I see a bit - o- cheese peaking out?

Hah, OK it's true :-\, I forgot about McDonald's Fish Filet with cheese, and yes it does go together :).

Sing_cheese

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 04:00:11 AM »
The no seafood with cheese is usually a pretty good rule (mcky D's fishy burger not withstanding). I will grant  that the fish may come from the sea (via factory ship the who knows what happens to the fish flesh), but to call the yellow stuff cheese is a bigger stretch.

My daughter has a theory that there is no food that cannot be improved by adding one of the following ingrediants "Cheese, Butter, or Chocolate" we used to play a game at the dinner table  trying to find exceptions - have not found many.