Author Topic: Brie vs Camembert - Curd Difference?  (Read 2025 times)

allondale

Brie vs Camembert - Curd Difference?
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:24:54 AM »
Can any one help.. I have made a few Camembert cheeses and thought I would give a triple Brie a try..
Is the curd suppose to be a lot softer than a Camembert..
 thought maybe as it has more cream this may be the reason..

Tea

Re: Brie vs Camembert - Curd Difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »
I was at a "cheese market" day recently and the guest speaker was saying that the only real difference between and cam and brie is the size of the wheel.

A triple brie has added cream, which makes for a much softer creamier cheese.  My recipe addes a cup of cream to every litre of milk, which is a fairly high cream content and makes for a very soft cheese.  I usually add about 2 liters of cream to 14 liters of milk.  I don't take the cheese out of the moulds until I am ready to put in the fridge, which means I brine and dry in their moulds, as I find they are too soft to handle, and bulge completely out of shape.  If I leave taking off the mould until getting them in the fridge, then I only get minimal bulging, and they hold their shape much better.

This is what works for me anyway.  HTH's

susanky

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »
Agree the difference between Brie and Camembert is size of wheel. I was considering trying a 'triple cream' camembert. But this is what confuses me a little.  Is is possible to make it with TOO MUCH cream?  What would happen if you used ALL cream? 

I sometimes use Brown Swiss milk, and sometimes Jersey.  If I started with Brown Swiss milk, and added 3-4c cream/gallon (maybe more) then I have something closer to the Jersey milk.  So what if I add more cream to the Jersey milk?  That's a alot of cream.  Too much?
Susan

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 04:06:43 AM »
There's a differences between B & C thread here, basically just size.

As to % MF that's a subjective question, there's a [ur=http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,7189.0.htmll]thread on that here[/url], hope helps.