Author Topic: 1st Roquefort Blue Cheese  (Read 1619 times)

Mountbaldybrewing

1st Roquefort Blue Cheese
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:17:30 AM »
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to making blue cheese.  I have made several hard cheeses and recently branched out into the world of molded cheeses.  I own a homebrewing supply shop where I also carry cheese making supplies and teach cheese making classes.  8)

Now for the fun stuff.  I started making this blue cheese with a Mad Millie Kit.  I did everything correctly up until the first part of the aging process.  After the cheese molded I placed it in a lunch cooler with a plate of water in it. I left the cheese in there for about a month and a half before realizing that my humidity was too high.  It developed a nasty reddish brown color to it.  I tried washing it off with water at one point. 

The cheese reeked like dirty socks and ammonia.  I scraped all of the nasty slime off of it and then covered it in cheese wrap.  It has since been aging properly in my fridge in a tupperware with a paper towel in it.  It still has a nasty funky smell to it though and it's almost sticky feeling.   

The smell is very off putting.  It's not like any other aged stinky cheeses I've smelled.  It's not quite rancid but it's not great either.  I've tasted a wee bit of it and it has a bluish flavor to it. 

Is there any salvation in this cheese or should I start from scratch? 

Thanks!!

Cheers,

Joe  Gill
Mount Baldy Brewing Supply
www.mountbaldybrewing.com

Sailor Con Queso

Re: 1st Roquefort Blue Cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:32:42 AM »
Blues can be stinky (especially ammonia) at times, and I'll bet this one turns out just fine. At 60 days I would vac bag and then age to at least 90 days, then taste it. The vac bagging will kill off any remaining mold and stabilize the cheese.

zenith1

Re: 1st Roquefort Blue Cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:07:09 AM »
possibly not enough air exchange during your aging.