Author Topic: New Followers with Logos  (Read 6671 times)

chilipepper

Re: New Followers with Logos
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 06:36:51 PM »
Carter, with your knack for creating interesting stuff... here is something to consider: Stainless Mold

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »
chillipepper, thnaks for the links, interesting pictures, I followed it back to the photographers article on these cheeses and your and that links on this Pressed Grana Type Board's Sticky.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 08:07:32 PM »
Thanks Chili, but I don't see any benefit. Plus it would be a little costly, but they do look pretty.

chilipepper

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »
Thanks CH. 

Carter, they do really cool.  I do find it interesting that they do the pressing from the sides and very little from the top and bottom.  They do put the large follower on there but since it looks like it is plastic it can't really weigh much.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 12:12:23 AM »
Those pics are a great learning experience. I always though the large Parm wheels got bulgy on the sides and depressed on the top and bottom due to the weight of the wheel during aging. But it's good to see they make them that way from the begining. I always wondered why mine never did that.

wharris

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
Not to be a "downer",  but I've been doing somethinking about this.

Let me start by saying these followers peg my cool-o-meter.

But you really don't see these types of deep insignias elseware. This aside.   And it comes to me that there may be a reason why.
The letters, and other designs do make for sharp corners of cheese that will be the outside of a natural rind.  (would you wax over your name?)

That being said, you create a condition around theses letters and designs where you have a higher surface area to cheese ratio.  This will cause the cheese, near the edges of the letters to dry much faster than the cheese on the flat parts of the cheese wheel. 

These letters will cause uneven drying.

The real question is this:  Is this a problem. 

The answer is:  I don't know,  I would have to ask Carter and those that use it.

I can see where it could be an issue if cracks stem from the edges... 

Anyway, not trying to bring us down here,  just my thoughts/critiques on the topic.

I hope this post is taken in that gentle spirit.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:06:36 PM by Wayne Harris »

LadyLiberty

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 08:06:47 PM »
OK I had to google what a CNC machine was but wow, Carter!  one of those would be cool to have if we only had more room in tom's workshop.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
Wayne you dirtty rat! ;D Just kidding. We talked about this yesterday you and I. The problems I'm having are cracks forming where the wrinkles are from the cheese cloth, the letters are perfectly moist. The sides are the ones drying too fast. I stuck it in my cave and we'll see how that goes. I will wax probably no matter what in a few days.

Likesspace

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 01:08:01 AM »
Wayne...
I see your point, but don't parmesan makers use an embossed "band" to etch dates and other manufacturing information into the sides of their cheeses? I seem to remember seeing this someplace.
I would think that, especially if a cheese was waxed, this would not be a problem but of course only time will tell.
Keep us informed, Carter.
Lady Liberty....
My brother writes programs for and repairs CNC machines for a living but I'm not sure that he could actually BUILD a CNC machine from scratch. Only massive over-achievers like our Carter could do something like that.  ;D
Yes, it's true....he actually BUILT a CNC machine (sigh).

Dave

wharris

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 01:17:23 AM »
Likespace, 
I actually referenced those embossed plastic thingys in my original post.  Those seem to be relatively small little dents as opposed to the letters that Carter is embossing.

BTW,  just so you understand where i am coming from.  I WANT one of those.  And your press too.

I am about at max-jealousy with carter gadgets.

Carter is just killing me.  I am actually thinking of buying a freakin welder because of him.

But my welding skills are flashing 12:00.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »
I could teach you how to weld over the phone, it's not that hard if you know what to look for.

Likesspace

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 01:33:24 AM »
I'm with you, Wayne....
What I could do with the proper tools and only a little talent and skill.  ;D
I actually told Carter earlier that I'm buying a welder within the next week or two. A friend has a portable 115 volt stick welder that he's selling for a song.
I'm certainly not a great welder but my dad taught me the basics in about 5 minutes time.
After a day of burning rods (making some portable badminton poles) I was really starting to get a "feel" for the process (also a feel for hot metal since I kept trying to pick up pieces I had just cut with a torch or welded together)!
Honestly, that day was probably one of the best days I've ever spent. Not only was I learning a new craft but I was doing it with my dad.
Sometimes life can be really good.

Dave