Author Topic: Peppers - How Add To Pressed Cheeses  (Read 1580 times)

judyp

Peppers - How Add To Pressed Cheeses
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
I want to make some hot pepper cheese.  Can I add some dehydrated peppers to my curd before I pack it in the mold.  Will a dry ingredient like this make the cheese dryer?  Will I need to adjust the weight/time pressing?
Thanks,
Judy

CdnMorganGal

Re: Peppers - How Add To Pressed Cheeses
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »
I boiled some hot pepper seeds/flakes (the type you buy in the grocery store) in a bit of water for 10min - to make sure they were sterile, then added the cooled liquid to the milk, and added the drained seeds to the curds at the mixing/adding salt stage.  I then pressed and aged as normal.  Next time I might try adding the boiled water and seeds to the milk - since my draining bag would catch the seeds anyways.  Dont have any experience with actual dehydrated peppers.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
"Will a dry ingredient like this make the cheese dryer?"
It depends on the cheese, most semi hard cheeses expell whey anyhow so its not a big of a deal.
It is a bit of a deal if whey gets trapped inside so chop it up good to prevent any cavities if your pressing lightly.

judyp

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »
The cheese is farmhouse cheddar and will press at 50 lbs. 

Am I understanding correctly that I can chop my dehydrated peppers into very small pieces, mix with curd when I add salt and then just press as I normally would?  Any idea how much pepper to add to 4 gallons?

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »
Are these hot or sweet?

50lbs sounds too light for a chedder. what size mould are you using?

judyp

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
the mold is 2 pounds.  It's about 5" diameter. 
The recipe is Farmhouse cheddar in Ricki Carol's book.  The peppers are jalepenos and they were spicy---HOT!  They made me sneeze chopping them!  I decided to cook them and mix them with the curd when I mixed the salt.  It's very pretty. 

susanky

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »
Cooking them was probably a good move.  Besides the moisture issue, you have to worry about introducing contminants.  By cooking them you can effectively 'sterilize' them. 
Susan