Author Topic: My second Dunlop  (Read 2732 times)

JeffHamm

My second Dunlop
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:38:34 AM »
Hi,

I've decided to give Dunlop a go again as I quite enjoyed the first one.  I've read it's traditionally wide and flat, so I used a larger mold (a stainless steel steamer which I bought for this purpose).  The make went well again.  My first Dunlop had a good knit after the 3 hour press, but this time it was ok, but not looking "perfect" at that stage.  However, with the larger area of the follower, the psi would be lower (I had maxed out my weights), so perhaps not surprising.  Also, room temperature is lower now as we're into winter here in New Zealand.

Anyway, the last one I aged for about 6 weeks.  I think I'll try and age this one out a bit longer.

Here are my make notes.  My meso culture is Flora Danica.  I don't have a ph meter, but do go by the floc method. 

Dunlop : Saturday June 11th, 2011.  Overcast, drizzle, cool.

10 litres homebrand standard
4 ice cubes mesophillic (flora danica)
0.6 ml rennet
½  tsp Calcium chloride
2-2.5 tbls salt

1) Warm milk to 30C. (from 7.4C in pot 54.5C; starting at 9:55am – reached at 10:17 am; more hot was added)
2) add ½ tsp calcium chloride in egg cup of water
3) Add the starter (Time: 10:17   : temp: 31.5 C)
4) Ripen 1 hour (target time 11:17)
5) add 0.6 ml rennet in egg cup of water (time: 11:17 : temp: 30.8 C)
   Floc time = 14m 30sec.
6) floc 3.5x = 50 m 45 sec; cut time: 12:07:45
7) Cut into broad bean size cubes (1 cm?) & stir
8) raise temperate to 36 C over 20 minutes (start time: 12:20   end time:12:36; temp : 36.6 C)
9) cook 20 minutes  (start time: 12:36   end time: 12:56)
10) drain whey (obtained about 8 litres)
11) cut into several (4) broad slabs
12) stack, & change slabs several times over 30 minutes  (start time: 1:11   end time: 1:41)
13) Mill into small pieces (thumbnail size)
14) sprinkle with salt (amount not stated in recipe; I used 2.5 tbls)
15) wrap, place in mold, press lightly (5 kg) for 15 minutes  (start time: 1:58   end time: 2:15)
16) press heavier (20kg + 1/3 bucket water) for 3 hours  (start time: 2:15   end time: 5:15)
17) flip & redress, press overnight (20 kg)  (start time:  5:15   end time: 6:15 am)
18) remove from cheesecloth, and dip in 66 C water for 1 minutes  (6:15am – 6:16 am next day)
19) redress and press for 24 hours  (start time: 6:16am   end time: 6:45 am; 1314g)
20) air dry until dry to touch
21) bandage or wax for storage
22) Ripen 10-15C, 85% humidity.  Ready in 6-8 weeks (can age longer)
After first overnight press the knit not as good as the first time, but using the larger mold (the large stainless strainer) so lower psi.  After the final press the knit is improved.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

Re: My second Dunlop
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »
I moved this one out of the ripening cave.  It had a few spots of blue mold forming.  I washed it down with a light brine yesterday, but this morning it was still a bit damp.  I don't think the outer rind was quite ready, so I'm going to air dry it a few more days to see if it will firm up a touch.  It's not a very thick cheese, so I'll have to be careful not create an all rind discus!

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:40:24 AM »
Hi,

Well, this one is now 73 days since make day.  I was thinking to age this out for 6 months or so, but it's dropped down to 940g, meaning it's lost about 370g since the make.  I figure it's losing moisture more than others because I made this in a wide flat disk.  I've read that this is the more traditional shape, but that may work well for a 10kg cheese, but perhaps not so well with a 1 kg version.  Still, it's doing well and once I finish off the last piece of two of my last caerphilly I'll cut into this one. 

- Jeff

Tea

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
Well it looks impressive.  Hope it ages out as you planned.

mrsick44

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »
Hi Jeff! Youre cheese looks mighty fine indeed. I love to read and follow your make notes. you give outstanding detail and insight. I've followed your ButterKase and Lancashire notes and believe that I have two fine cheeses just waiting to come out of the cave. I have a question about this rind. Will you let this remain natural or are you going to wax it? I know you said it was 73 days old in the pic, but I've been trying to learn about rind developement. I have some Geo on the way to begin washing my first French Tomme with it and a 3% brine but I was curious to hear your thoughts. I never get ANY mold on my cheeses...except for the one which caught wild b.linens. I'm thinking this may be as wrong as uncontrollled mold growth. Any thoughts would be a blessing.
 O0

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »
Thanks Tea!  Fingers crossed it's turned out.

And I'm glad that you find the notes helpful newcheemomma!  I've learned a lot from this board and people sharing (the Lancashire make is MrsKK's, which I think she got from Sailor).  The molds I've been getting are all wild geo, b.linens, and blues, which seems to grab on to most of my naked cheeses.  I'll not wax this one, but will probably cut into it this weekend (if not earlier).  If you want to learn about rind development, check out Boofer's posts.  He's been doing a lot of study on rinds, and has been getting great tips from all sorts of people and also adding his own insights.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:59:06 PM by JeffHamm »

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 05:31:05 AM »
Hi,

Ok, so I finished the caerphilly this morning.  And, as today was day 75 for the Dunlop, I figured that's a good number to cut it on.  I admit, I was a bit worried that given how flat it is, and with how much moisture it has lost (down to 932g today), that what I was going to end up with was a nice slice of pure rind.  However, I was pleasantly surprised to find the rind was quit thin and the feel was quite soft as I cut it.  The smell, while still cold from the fridge, is good and the same as the first make (or the same as I recall the first make).  Anyway, just waiting for the cheese to warm up before the tasting.  Will post notes on that when the time comes. 

Oh, and in the slice, you can see where some mold has penetrated into the cheese a bit.  the knit on this one wasn't as good as the first time, but overall, there are far fewer mechanical openings than I've had in some other cheeses.  So, I'm very pleased with this outcome so far.  Certainly, if the taste is nice like the first one, this will become a regular make.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:40 AM »
And, it tastes just like the other one did.  A nice clean, mild, cheddar type of cheese.  Bit of zip to it as well.  A nice smooth and creamy texture, much more moist than I expected given the weight lost.  I tried to melt some in the microwave, but it just bubbled and became stretchy.  As I recall the first one melted like a dream, so my acidity must not have been quite the same this time.  It's close to melting though, it's more like the outer skin of the piece doesn't melt but the inside sort of does.  I wonder if the different shape could change the acid development in the press and as it ages? Anyway, I'm really pleased with this.  I'll certainly make this again, though probably in my smaller 6.25 inch mold to give it more height.  I'll also probably wax and age the next one for a long time to see what it's like after 6 months or more. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »
Looks very tasty, Jeff. If you can vacuum-bag part of it for a little extended vacation in the cave, you might be pleasantly surprised down the road.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
Hi Boofer,

That would be nice.  Unfortunatley I don't have a vaccuum bagger so I guess I'll just have to eat the whole thing! :)  I suppose I could wax a portion to age it, but it's got so much mold on the surface that I think waxing would be a bad idea.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 05:07:09 AM »
Oh yah,

and I gave a piece to my daughter, and she liked it!  Normally she refuses to even try any of "Daddy's cheese".  Mind you, that was this morning.  Now, at the end of the day, she's returned to not even tasting it first.  Still, if I can get another bit into her I just might win her favour.  :)

- Jeff

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:12 AM »
Jeff, your Dunlop looks so great,
that it makes me to try make one too  :)

Hande

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »
Thanks Hande,

If you do make one, I would be really interested in hearing how it turns out for you.  I've made it twice now, and both times it's been a hit.  A nice mild, clean tasting cheese, but not bland.  It has a definate flavour, and the last piece I ate had definate buttery tones to it well into the finish. 

- Jeff

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »
Jeff, that sounds good.
My wife likes butter cheese and I think that one too.
I don't have flora danica, but maybe I use MA4001.

Hande

JeffHamm

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
Hi Hande,

I'm sure MA4001 would be fine.  I only use flora danica because it's the only meso starter I have at the moment.  :)  Use anything you would use for a cheddar and I think you'll be fine. 

- Jeff