Author Topic: Rennet Coagulated Cheeses - Impact Of Varying Parameters  (Read 4020 times)

DeepSix

Rennet Coagulated Cheeses - Impact Of Varying Parameters
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:29:37 AM »
Hello all,

I have been lurking around this forum for months now and have finally started getting organized to make cheese.  (I've spent most of this year learning charcuterie.)  This forum has a wealth of information so I am hoping you can help me prepare a bit more for this adventure.

I am part chef and part scientist so I need to wrap my head around the cause and effect relationship of cheese making.  For example:

PH-  Lower Ph in the curd = _____ and _____, Higher PH causes ______ and _____.
Temp...
Pressing time...
Pressing pressure...

Basically, I want to be able to taste a cheese I have made and intentionally tune it to something more creamy or firm, sharp or mellow etc.

Is there a resource here that could help me with this? 
I'm not sure how search for it.

Thanks,

Jason

smilingcalico

Re: Rennet Coagulated Cheeses - Impact Of Varying Parameters
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:50:25 AM »
Hi Jason,
  May I suggest first deciding on what cheese you'd like to make, then type in the name of the cheese in the search box and go from there.  Virtually all cheeses talked about on this forum have answers to pH questions, pressing times, and all other aspects of the process.  The wealth of information here is amazing.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:02:14 AM »
Mate, I could answer you directly, but we've covered this many, many times through various angles in threads and you'd learn more from reading them. Look at the member list for the top 20 posters. And go through all the posts from everyone and read through them. This is if you want general knowledge. I think it's best instead to focus on a single cheese when just starting out.

DeepSix

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »
Thanks, I'll keep reading.

What got me started thinking about this is I tasted a fantastic cheddar type cheese but it was much creamier that most cheddar I've had.  So it got me thinking, how do I make adjustments if I don't know the influence of each of the parameters.

For instance, how would you maintain a cheddar type flavor but deliver it in a softer and creamier cheese?

Thanks,

Jason

DeepSix

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:37 AM »
Thanks Linuxboy,

I don't mind searching and reading, I just wasn't sure how to search for that particular topic or if there was a summary somewhere I'm not finding.  I'll do some research and try to find what I'm looking for.

Jason

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:08:26 AM »
Up the fat and moisture, possibly drain pH a little lower, and/or wash the curd a little. You want less calcium, more water, and more fat. You'd be sacrificing time at peak flavor, though. Would age rapidly, spike, and go downhill.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:10:19 AM »
there was a summary somewhere
Out of the major threads here, Sailor and I have posted about controls rather frequently. You can start by reading all our posts. And if you get stuck, we'll help.

smilingcalico

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 05:05:12 AM »
Indeed, Sailor and Linux are great posters on this forum.  Looking through the member list for the top posters would be a little daunting, as there are over 4000 members.  May I suggest also reading iratherfly, dee jay debbie, wayne harris, francois, arnaudforestier and oh shoot MANY more.  Check the forum each day and you'll quickly see who posts quite frequently.  Was the cheddar type cheese you had a Lancashire?  Both Sailor and myself have posted different recipes for that, and many others have made them also.  Search, search, search!